P1: Chapter 10

Peter (May 5th [week later] afternoon. Location: streets of Queens)

The sun's warmth heating up my hair and exposed skin was one of my favorite feelings in the world. For a year and a half I'd been in a coma. Which meant no contact with the outside. And for the last six months after that, I've been trying to recover (not to mention hiding from a deadly clone who has tried to kill me twice and thinks I'm dead and I'd really like to keep it that way).

So, yeah, outside contact is a rarity for me. Though I've been enjoying it much more now that I can walk. I try to get out as much as I can. I'll run whatever errand MJ needs from me. Almost everyday I try to go to the little park ten minutes from our home and just sit in the soothing warmth of the sun. It's the little things that I never appreciated before that I'm suddenly super fixated on. The sound and feel of a gentle breeze on my skin. The fresh air from the small park that seems to block out New York pollution. It all was just... relaxing.

It almost made me forget about my situation.

I felt a vibration from my back pocket. I looked around for anything suspicious. Whenever my attention is going to be away from my surroundings I make sure to check if I'm safe. I've been doing it more and more lately. It gives me an uneasy feeling, but I could only imagine what it would have been like if Spider-Man's identity had been public knowledge. I doubt I would have been able to live in Aunt May's house.

It's still a stupid risk. Ben knows how much she meant to me. I should probably talk to MJ and Flash about that. Though deep down I knew that talk would never happen. My life has changed so drastically because of my damned clone. I don't want to give up Aunt May because of him.

Pulling my phone out, I scowl at the unknown number trying to contact me. A normal person would think it's a telemarketer or maybe even a wrong number situation. But I don't live with that luxury. I'm a fucking ghost. I made sure to make a software for MJ and I that made it impossible for a number that we hadn't called before contact us first. And our contact list was very limited. From ourselves to Sha and Flash.

So who the hell is this?

I didn't dare click answer. Even if they could have surpassed my firewalls, there was no way they could find my location. A few nasty viruses would get in the way of that. But that could all go down the drain if I responded and made a link between whoever the hell was hacking me.

Abruptly, I stood up, scanning the park. I waited for the tell tale tingle of my spider sense, but it never went off. No one in my vicinity had any malicious intentions toward me. Except the phone. But my spider sense wouldn't see the person on the other end trying to harm me. Only the phone. Only when someone or something from the other side came into my vicinity with intent of harming me would it go off. Sometimes a sixth sense was a waste of time.

I hadn't hit end call so the phone just kept on buzzing. But after a minute it ended itself. having the hacker go to my voicemail. Good thing I wasn't foolish enough to state my dead name or fake name on it. And I had used a voice modulator while making it so no one could decipher who said "busy, you know what to do." Because apparently I'm the paranoid type now.

Pulling up my messages, I had four conversations. Individual ones with MJ, Sha, and Flash. Then a group chat. I clicked the group chat as I headed over to a tree towards the corner of the park, putting my back to it so I could see everything around me.

Tornado watch.

I typed the message quickly before abruptly pulling the hood of my jacket over my head. I probably looked stupid since it was high 70 degree weather, but it was normal for me... What? I'm half spider, you think I can regulate my own body temperature? Ha! When I woke up in the "hospital room" (since Ben had tried to kill me and we didn't trust hospitals anymore I was actually located in very big storage room in Sha and Flash's apartment) it had been as warn as a nursery.