Why'd you want me to stay

When I got into the twins room, I saw Jax crying in the corner. He was mumbling things that I couldn't hear. I grabbed his teddy bear and walked over to him.

              "Jax, you good?" I asked, handing him the bear. I heard him sniff before he looked up at me. He jumped on me and hugged me. 

              "Why were you crying, Maxine?" he asked me quietly "Was it daddy again?"

              He knows what dad did. Angel does too. I mean, he did only leave a few months ago.

              "Yeah. It was, baby. But I'm okay now. Why don't you go on back to sleep?"

             "Will you stay until I fall asleep? Pretty please?" He whispered, making puppy eyes.

            "Of course I will." I promised, kissing his forehead. I moved to sit on his bed and hugged him until he was asleep. It only took about 5 minutes for his breathing to go even. He had a long day of playing so he was tired. I laid him on his bed and turned towards the door. When I saw who was in the doorway I almost jumped out of my skin.

          "Sorry, M. You just weren't in your room so I came to fine you and I saw you with Jax and I figured I'd wait til you were done..." Josh whispered, sounding embarrassed. I smiled knowing he couldn't see it and walked to the door.

         "Come on, J. Let's go." I said, walking to my room with him following behind me.

         When we got to my room, we laid down. No touching. Just talking.

         "Why'd you want me to stay?" he asked randomly.

         "Uhhhh... I just- it's just that- you make me feel safe. I just need to be safe." I whispered, starting to tear up.

         "Can I hug you?" he asked softly. I nodded and felt him slip his arms around my shoulders. I put mine around his waist and cried, hugging him as tight as I could. I knew I was safe from the world right then and there. With Josh.

        Eventually I finished crying and I fell asleep in his arms with peaceful dreams.