We were 11, Maxine

We had listened to music the whole way to the cliff. Mostly country but some older pop like Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons. When we got there, I sat near the edge and closed my eyes.

                    "Wanna go swimming?" I heard from behind me. I shrugged.

                     "Not right now. Maybe later. I just wanna relax right now." I said, looking over at Josh. He nodded and looked at the sky. I did the same and we laid there for hours just pointing out cloud shapes and laughing.

                    "You know, the first time we ever did this alone together was the same day 5 years ago? Imagine that! Were both juniors now! We were 11, Maxine!" Josh said randomly, smiling at me.

                   I smiled and nodded. "Yeah. We got in big trouble trouble that day." I laughed. And the day I fell for you...

                   "What was that?" he asked.

                   "What was what?" I countered, confused. He shook his head and offered to go to the park. I smiled and we raced to the swings like little kids. We collapsed on to the swing set in fits of giggles. Once we caught our breath, I started swinging. He started pushing my swing and I couldn't help but laugh.

                   I closed my eyes with no worry and when I opened them, he was in front of my swing. I tried to stop the swing but he beat me to it. He grabbed my swing and stopped it. When he did,  I noticed we were inches away from each other. I wanted to close that distance. So I did. I didn't kiss him. I hugged him like I used to. Like a sloth on a branch. I clung to him and then let him go.

                   He looked shocked. I giggled and ran to the monkey bars, climbing on top of them and sat on top of them. He laughed and did pull-ups on the bars. I bent down and got close to his face. He kissed my forehead and grinned. I blushed and giggled. 

                  After about an hour, he got hungry so we went to Wendy's. I like Wendy's more than McDonalds. He got his food and I got my drink. That's how we like to do things. We pay for our own stuff.

               "Why haven't you been eating, M? And don't tell me you aren't hungry because I can see that you are."

              I was caught off guard by the question he asked. I shrugged and looked away from Josh. I felt his hand on my cheek and started talking.