2:36 am

At 2:36 am, I was awoken by a crashing in the kitchen. Assuming it was Cole tripping over things again, I closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep.

                                          That was until I still heard it 5 minutes later and decided to go check it out.

                                          When I opened my bedroom door, Cole was standing in the hallway a few steps away and immediately shushed me. I walked over to him and asked what was going on.

                                          He pushed us both back into my room and shut the door without a sound.

                                          "I heard someone in the kitchen and I figured it was you getting water or something. When a few minutes went by and I still heard I thought you might need help so I went to go help you but your door was closed. You always leave your door open when you're just getting water. So I stopped and waited to see if you were gonna come back upstairs and had just closed it accidentally but I heard a male voice and then you opened your door." he rushed out while I nodded along.

                                          "So who's in our kitchen?"

                                          "I think it's dad, Max..."

                                          I paled once those words left his mouth. "What're we gonna do?"

                                         He gave me the stern look he always did right before he said something he knew I wouldn't like.

                                         "WE aren't gonna do anything. I'M going down to deal with it. YOU are going to go into the twins and protect them if he gets up here. None of you come downstairs until I come and get you, understood?"

                                         I shook my head. "No, Cole. You're not going alone. I'm going with you. I'm not letting you get hurt."

                                         He told me to stay and then turned on his heel and made his way out of my room with me in tow.

                                        We crept slowly down the staircase, careful to avoid the bad spots as best we could. Cole stepped on a sqeaky step and everything went dead silent.

                                        Seconds later, we heard pounding footsteps coming towards us. Fast.

                                        I grabbed my brothers arm and pulled behind me just as a man came flying around the corner.