You ruined the surprise

"Hi, mom!" Josh shouted through the house. I heard her yell back and ran up to her room.

                              "Maxine!" she smiled, getting up and hugging me tightly.

                              "Mrs. Brown!" I said, hugging her back. I saw her a couple weeks ago in the store but we always greeted each other like this. She gave up on trying to get me to call her Tanisha a long time ago.

                              "I heard Elias finally came back home. Can I see him?" I pleaded. Elias is Josh's 2 month old brother. He was at the hospital cause he was born very premature and they had to make sure he got the right treatment to be healthy. I was there when he was born but I haven't see him since cause he's been in the NICU. She chuckled and walked into his room, coming back out with him.

                              I smiled when I saw him giggling and her smiling. She handed him to me and told me to go to the living room with Josh since she wasn't feeling the best.

                              Josh and I sat in the living room while I played with the baby. Josh smiled and kept taking pictures of us. When Elias was ready for bed, I layed on the couch with him on my stomach and my head on Josh's knee.

                              Eventually we all fell asleep. I fell asleep around 2:30am. When I woke up, Elias was in his room and Josh was behind me with my head on his shoulder. I smiled to myself and curled into him since it was a bit chilly in his house. I heard him groan and I knew he was awake.

                              "Good morning, M." he said, smiling.

                              "Good morning." I whispered, moving closer. He chuckled softly and I relaxed. I smiled and closed my eyes. I felt him start running my arm as I heard his mom.

                              "I knew you two got together!" she squealed. I blushed.

                              I wish...

                              "No we haven't mom. You ruined the surprise!" Josh exclaimed. I looked up at him confused. "Come on, M. I want to do one last thing." I nodded and we both got up. He led me to his room and told me to close my eyes.

                              When he told me to open them again, he was in front of me with a ring in his hands. It was pretty. It had an empty centered circle in the center of the band but I was still confused.

                              "I'm not proposing yet," he laughed "and I have your brothers permission. I'm making you a promise if you say yes. Maxine Octavia Holloway, would you do me the honors of being mine to have and to hold?"