I see you've been practicing

I must have fallen asleep after dinner because next thing I knew I was waking up at 2am. I don't remember how I got to my room but oh well. I left my room to go check that the twins made it home safely. I saw them both tucked in and was about to go into their room when I heard something in the kitchen.

                              I ran to my room and grabbed the pocket knife I had hidden in the airvent. If someone is down there I'm not letting them get to my family. I quietly crept downstairs.

                              I don't know what I'm going to do. I just know I can't lose another loved one.

                              I stopped at the bottom of the stairs to listen. I quietly opened my pocket knife as I heard a groan and heavy footsteps coming closer to me. I hitched my breath and spun my knife, ready to throw it if necessary. A tall, dark man stood in the doorway. I raised my hand when he steped around  the corner. I threw my knife, but he ducked and I missed.

                              "I see you've been practicing." I heard the man infront of me chuckle.

                              "Fuck, bro. You scared the hell out of me." I whispered, walking across the room to retrieve the blade.

                              I walked back to the stairs, closing the knife.

                              "What are you doing up this late?" I asked him.

                              "I could ask you the same thing."

                              I shrugged.

                              "Did he go home?" Cole asked.

                              "Well, I don't see him so yeah."

                              He nodded and we both went back to bed.