31. Troubled Angel

Not so many years ago

Their grandfather was dying it was obvious and as his son Avalon's father had died many years ago it was time for him to pick an heir.

Viserys or rhaenys.

''Are you going to be king Vis?'' Avalon asked running up to viserys.

''I don't know Avalon," Viserys admitted

''Do you want to be king?'' Avalon countered.

''I don't know... I never actually thought this day would come where I would be a choice.'' Viserys told her.

''I think you'll be a good king.'' Avalon told him

''you do? ''Viserys asked running his hand through her hair.

''Of course you're the best big brother ever she assured him why wouldn't you be a good king?'' Avalon told him honestly.

''Being a good big brother-''

''The best big brother.'' she corrected him

''I wont tell Daemon you said that." Viserys told her with a grin. "Or maybe I will." He teased. "But being the best big brother-'

''In the whole world.'' she added as he smiled down at her

''-Doesn't mean I'll make a good king.'' he told her

''It doesn't mean you won't make a good king.'' she countered

''I love your faith in me Avalon I hope that if I am chosen I can do you proud.''

''You already have.'' she assured. ''If you're King are we moving to the capital?''

''Well I wouldn't want you to stay at dragon stone so far away.'' he assured her

''Would I be a princess?''

''You're already a princess to me.'' Viserys told her.

''Do you think Aemma is not going to have a boy? Is that why you are worried?'' Avalon asked as they walked the halls.

''I think she's having a boy. She will have a boy.'' he told her confidently

''Well is that why you're really worried?'' Avalon asked and he stopped kneeling before her ''because you don't have an heir yet that the crown will like? I like Rhaenyra though.'' Avalon told him.

''I suppose that could be part of it.'' he admitted. ''But our cousin rhaenys is The other option for the next ruler of the seven kingdoms.'' Viserys reminded her ''so even if I am chosen it shows that-''

''That they don't wanna woman as the next leader.'' Avalon countered and viserys sighed. ''I think they'll pick you because I think you would be a good king and I'm really smart Daemon tells me all the time how smart I am so do you.'' Avalon boasted.

''You are very smart.'' he agreed.

''I can do some campaigning for you.'' she offered

''Do you know what campaigning means?'' Viserys countered

''It's where I go around saying Viserys is the best.'' Avalon told him confidently.

+

"So Viserys is the favorite? is that what I heard?" Daemon questioned and avalon shook her head immediately.

"Nope, I have no idea where you heard such vicious lies." Avalon mused.

"Right, right, definitely didnt hear you saying Viserys is the best, Viserys for king." Daemon agreed and Avalon knew she was caught.

"I love you." Avalon told him innocently.

"You are lucky you are so damn cute." Daemon told her. "You get away with sin."

"I wouldnt sin, Viserys calls me his angel." Avalon corrected appalled.

"Fallen angel," Daemon told her. "I call you trouble."

"I'm a troubled angel?" Avalon suggested with a smirk.

"That sounds about right." Daemon agreed turning around.

"Daemon where are you going?"

"Viserys doesnt need me to kiss his ass." Daemon told her but avalon grabbed his hand.

"Come on Daemon this is important." Avalon told him but he just sniggered.

"Oww ow Avalon!" Daemon cried out as little Avalon grabbed hold of his ear pulling him along. "Avalon let me go trouble." Daemon told her tickling her under the arm pit and her hand pulled back.

"Today is special Dae!" Avalon told him.

"Is it though?" Daemon countered.

"Viserys might be named king. You must be on your very best behavior". Avalon instructed.

"You like me at my worst though." Daemon countered smugly.

"This is important Daemon." Avalon told him as he draped his arm around her shoulders.

+

As the first century of the Targaryen dynasty came to a close, the health of the Old King, Jaehaerys, was failing. In those days, House Targaryen stood at the height of its strength with 10 adult dragons under its yoke. No power in the world could stand against it. King Jaehaerys reigned over nearly 60 years of peace and prosperity. But tragedy had claimed both his sons, leaving his succession in doubt.

So, in the year 101, the Old King called a Great Council to choose an heir. Over a thousand lords made the journey to Harrenhal. Fourteen succession claims were heard but only two were truly considered

Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, the King's eldest descendant, and her younger cousin, Prince Viserys Targaryen, the King's eldest male descendant.

'It is declared by all lords paramount and lords vassal of the Seven Kingdoms... that Prince Viserys Targaryen be made Prince of Dragonstone.' Jaehaerys Targaryen decreed.

Rhaenys, a woman, would not inherit the Iron Throne. The lords instead chose Viserys... Jaehaerys called the Great Council to prevent a war being fought over his succession. For he knew the cold truth. The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon... was itself.

"Smile Daemon." Avalon instructed. "Viserys is king." Daemon stared down at her. "You are his heir." Avalon reminded him. "Heir to the iron throne." That got Daemon to smile. "Good, keep that can do attitude, he is going to need his family, I suspect he is going to be needing his family now, more than ever."

"I am to be king." Viserys remarked hugging Avalon tight.

"I knew you would." Avalon told him confidently. "Grandfather is as old as a dragon, you will rule for ages."

"Thank you for your confidence my love."

"Always. I'm always here for you." Avalon told him as he kissed her cheek.

"What about me?" Daemon countered.

"I'm here for the both of you." Avalon assured. "Targaryen Trio of trouble takes the capital!" Avalon declared and Daemon scooped her up.

"No trouble in the capital little love." Viserys begged.