41. Family

'How are you feeling, Viserys?' Avalon questioned as he felt the effects form his consumption hitting him hard. She ran a hand over his head as he leaned back in his chair and offered her a pained smile.

'The gods have punished me for my indulgences.'

'At least the wine was good.' Avalon agreed kissing his cheek as he pulled her to him.

'Too good.' He admitted.

'I was hoping we might discuss something.' Avalon said softly. She didn't know how to say, Otto is a conniving dick and I want his head on a spike... but sounding less... vicious? Violent? Less like a mad queen.

'Rhaenyra?' Viserys questioned 'I do not think she enjoyed Jason Lannister's company. She is cross.'

'I warned you that she would be.' Avalon remarked as he rubbed at her feet. "A Lannister Vis? Really?"

'Rhaenyra has come of age. She must needs marry a high lord who will honor her, defend her, and serve her as king consort. Her wishes in this matter are irrelevant.'

'I do believe that Rhaenyra will marry, Viserys. But she must believe it is her choice to do so.' Avalon told him and Viserys nodded running a hand up her leg. 'What's this?' she remarked leaning over noticing a letter.

'A letter... from Vaemond Velaryon.' Viserys sneered

'The Sea Snake's brother.' Avalon recalled. "He is still being difficult, I presume?"

'Yeah. He's fighting in the Stepstones, with all the rest of them.' Viserys told her pouring another drink

'May I?' she questioned and he nodded she read it over as the fire crackled between them.

"It's cute that you ask." Viserys remarked. "We both know you are in charge." Avalon smiled back at him innocently. 

 'Lord Corlys and Prince Daemon are losing their war.' Avalon remarked.

'Badly, by all accounts.'

"Is Daemon in trouble?" Avalon questioned and Viserys chuckled. "Viserys he is our brother." Avalon reminded him. 'This is a plea for aid. Then why not send it?' Avalon questioned

'Because it is a war started by two malcontents, unhappy with decisions I made. If I now provide Daemon and Corlys succor, what will that say of their king?' Viserys countered

'Perhaps, that he is a good man who loves his brother... I love Daemon he is trouble and difficult but I love him and don't want him dead.'

'Well, if you truly believe that, my love... then you possess a truly generous spirit.' Viserys told her

'What do you believe, Viserys?'

'That I am forever doomed to anger one person in the pleasing of another.' Viserys told her

'Then I pose a simpler question. Is it better for the realm if the Crabfeeder thrives, or is vanquished?' Avalon offered simply. Viserys sighed as she leaned into him. "You know I would go to his aid myself if I were not about to burst."

"Please don't go saving the day, my love." Viserys agreed. "I will send aid."

"Because you are a good and kind man." Avalon told him.

+

Make haste to Dwarfstone, Ser Addam.' Viserys instructed 'Hand-deliver this to Prince Daemon yourself.'

'At once, Your Grace.' He agreed

'Dwarfstone?' Rhaenyra questioned

'I'm sending word to Daemon. Aid is sailing to the Stepstones.'