52. Men wage wars

"Where is Avalon?" Rhaenyra whispered.

"She is coming." Viserys assured.

"Why she is not here?" Rhaenyra whispered.

"She is coming." Viserys assured.

''It is with great pleasure that His Grace, King Viserys, announces the start of the royal wedding celebrations. House Lannister with their lord, Jason Lannister. Lord Paramount of the West, and Master of Casterly Rock. House High tower with their lord, Hobert High tower. Beacon of the South, Defender of the Citadel, the Voice of Old town...'' Harrold announced.

''Congratulations, Your Grace. You have made a fine match for the Princess.'' Jason said as he approached.

''Thank you, Lord Jason. I could think of no better man than Ser Laenor.'' Viserys said with a chuckle.

'Well... if this is only the welcome feast, I admit, I cannot imagine what you might have planned for the wedding.'

''Well, my daughter is the future queen. I wanted this to be a wedding for the histories.'' Viserys reminded him.

''Where is the Queen? I had hoped to pay my respects.'' Jason offered looking down the table.

''I understand the Queen is still readying herself for the celebrations." Viserys informed him.

"This is why men wage war... because women would never be ready for the battle in time.'' Jason remarked with a chuckle

''Your presence is always such a pleasure, Lord Jason.'' Rhaenyra remarked stiffly.

''Princess... Your Grace.''

''Your Grace, Princess Rhaenyra, congratulations are in order.'' Gerold remarked coming up to them.

''We are very honored to have you as a guest, Ser Gerold.'' Viserys agreed ''I must say, I was most distressed to hear of the Lady Rhea's tragic passing. I'm very sorry for your loss.''

''Lady Rhea was a unique character. Her kind... is not soon to be seen again.'' Gerold told him

''If there is anything the crown might do to aid House Royce...''

''Lord Corlys of House Velaryon. Lord of the Tides, Master of Driftmark. And his lady wife, Princess Rhaenys Targaryen. And their son and heir, Ser Laenor Velaryon, the future king consort.'' Harrold announced as the drums beat.

''My Betrothed. My Betrothed.'' Laenor said happily.

''Be welcome, as we join together in celebration. Tonight is only its beginning. We honor the crown's oldest and fiercest ally, House Velaryon. Reaching back to the days of Old Valyria and the Age of Dragons. With House Targaryen and H...' Viserys began but the door swung open and stopped him mid speech the guests started murmuring, loving a good gossip.

''The King will not be happy.''

''Right in the midst of his speech.'

'I'm so sorry." Avalon whispered moving down the aisle. "Aegon was being fussy and Alyssa wanted her purple dress and not the red." Avalon explained a sheepish smile on her face as Alyssa waved at her hip as she got to her seat.

"Hi... Hi... Hi!" Alyssa said smiling as she waved. "mama!"

"Please do continue." Avalon said kissing Viserys cheek. "I'm sorry." She whispered again but Viserys brought a hand to her face gently stroking her cheek.

"Quite alright." Viserys assured. Alyssa waved up at him.

"Can you say congratulations to your big sister?" Avalon whispered kissing Alyssa's head.

"Cong..." Alyssa began. "hi!" she declared waving at Rhaenyra.

"Hi." Rhaenyra echoed leaning back past her father. "Thank you for being here."

''Please be seated.''

"Where else would I be? I'm sorry I'm late, you will understand once you have children, you work on their time. They don't work on yours." Avalon told her. "I hope you two can be happy, Rhaenyra."

"Thank you Avalon."

'Where was I?'' Viserys said with a soft cough.

'The joining of the two houses, Your Grace.'' Lyonel remarked.

'Yes...' Viserys cleared his throat. 'Yes. With House Targaryen and House Velaryon united, I hope to herald in a second Age of Dragons in Westeros.'' The crowd broke into an applause and cheers. ''And after tonight's small affair... Seven days of tournament and feasting. At the end of it all... At the end of it all, a royal wedding... between my daughter, my heir... your future Queen... and Ser Laenor Velaryon, the heir to Driftmark.'' The drums picked up again as Viserys finished.

"That was lovely." Avalon told Viserys.

"Thank you my love." Viserys replied as Rhaenyra got up. "You look so beautiful. But you always do." Viserys remarked kissing her.

"Thank you, you my dear husband, look very handsome." Avalon told him holding onto his hand.

''I was never much of a dancer.'' Rhaenyra remarked as Laenor offered his hand and lead her out for their first dance to set off the night.

''It's not much different to combat.'' Laenor informed her.

''Hm, I shall hope for a different outcome.''

+

''Your Grace.'' Daemon remarked

''We thank you for coming, uncle.'' Rhaenyra remarked

"Avalon..." Daemon coed.

"Hello Daemon." Avalon said softly as he came around the table and kissed her cheek.

"So beautiful." Daemon whispered against her ear.

"I'm glad you could make it." Avalon told him swallowing back the butterflies Daemon so easily gave her.

''In the Vale, men are made to answer for their crimes. Even Targaryens.'' Greold said stiffly coming up to Daemon

''Who are you?'' Daemon questioned looking him over as he took his seat next to Avalon, Alyssa smiled over at him. "Hello beautiful, you are going to look like mommy, lucky you." Daemon mused tapping her nose, Alyssa smiled up at Avalon.

''Ser Gerold Royce of Runestone.''

''And?'' Daemon said picking up his glass.

''I am cousin to your late lady wife.'' Gerold sneered

''Ahh, yes. Terrible thing. I'm positively bereft.'' Daemon said trying to keep the smug smile from his face.

"Viserys told me, I'm sorry to hear, lady Rhae seemed like a wonderful woman." Avalon told him kindly and Gerold offered her a small smile.

''Such a tragic accident.' Daemon agreed.

''You know better than anyone, it was no accident.'' Gerold hissed.

''Are you confessing some guilt, Ser Gerold?'' Daemon countered

''I am making an accusation.'' Gerold corrected

''You know, in King's Landing, men are made to answer for their slanders. Even old bronze cսոts like you.'' Daemon mused and Gerold scoffed

"Okay, Alyssa, lets dance while the boys watch their tongues." Avalon offered and Alyssa nodded clapping her hands happily. "We are celebrating love and life, lets be civil." Avalon instructed as she walked down the steps. Daemon smirked turning back to Gerold.

''The truth is, I'm glad you've come. I wish to speak to you about my inheritance.'' Daemon went on.

'''What inheritance?'' Gerold countered

''Lady Rhea and I had no heirs. As her husband, whatever she was due now passes to me. She stood to inherit all of Runestone... Did she not? After my niece's wedding, I plan to fly to the Eyrie and petition Lady Jeyne myself. Perhaps I'll see you there, Ser Gerold.'' Daemon said smugly.