73. One Last Breath

''Viserys... its been moons my love. Almost a year since we left Driftmark and you started on this descent... Are you not feeling any better?'' Avalon asked fixing his pillows.

''Just the flu love.'' Viserys told her weakly.

''It doesn't seem like the flu you've been sick for too long it's not going away whatever Mellos is doing is obviously not working. We need to try something else you look like death. And you were supposed to live a very long time remember?''

Daemon had left that night, slipped out and into the night. Avalon tried to push his handsome face out of her mind. She loved Viserys. She would tend to him and be a good wife and queen. Her fingers moved to the scroll again. She had yet to talk to him about it. She gnawed at her lip. She didn't deserve it. Especially not after what she almost did.

''I'm so tired my love I'm so tired.'' he told her ''could you pull the curtains?' Avalon sighed deeply but she moved to close the curtains.

''I'm getting a different maester in here. They're going to work on something else I don't like this. I miss you and all you do is sleep obviously the treatments are not working.''

''Just the flu.'' he said softly

''It doesn't look like the flu it doesn't feel like the flu. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck why are we calling it a zebra!'' Avalon demanded

He couldn't help but chuckle.

''Viserys this is serious! I'm really worried about you.'' Avalon told him.

''I'm alright love.'' Viserys assured. 'I'm alright.'' He grabbed her hand and kissed it gently.

''All right...'' She knew he was not fine she knew this was not the flu she knew. Avalon knew how serious this was but he needed to pretend that everything was going to be OK.

"Can we talk about this?" Avalon countered and Viserys peered over at her.

"You will do well." Viserys told her. "Rhaenyra is not ready. She will never be ready." Viserys told her.

"You dont know that."

"I do." Viserys corrected and she hadn't seen him with this much clarity in a long time. "Rhaenyra was ready to run at rumors, you don't run from danger. She has been running her whole life, running from her responsibilities, she wanted the crown but she didn't understand, she still doesn't understand." Viserys told her. 'You do."

"Viserys Rhaenyra-"

"You. Avalon. You are-"

"Daemon kissed me." Avalon blurted out. "I might have kissed him back. I did kiss him back its all a blur still." Avalon said quickly and Viserys chuckled. "Are you not mad?" Avalon asked. "I'm mad at myself."

"Avalon... I love you. I know I haven't been...' he let out a sigh.

"Its not-" Avalon countered.

"Daemon is still young and handsome, my ailments have left me less than for a while." Viserys told her. "I know Daemon has loved you for forever." Viserys remarked. "He was furious when I got to call you mine." Avalon let out a shaky breath. "I love you Avalon. This is what is right. I know you will do well. I know you will lead us into the future." Avalon nodded softly. "I told the council... tomorrow. I want it done tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Avalon questioned.

"I love you so much. I couldn't have asked for a better wife, a better queen."

"I love you Viserys."

She kissed him gently before laying down next to him closing her eyes she fell into a restless sleep meanwhile he took a few deep breaths his heart slowed...

When Avalon woke in the morning Viserys was cold.

''Viserys?'' Avalon questioned wiping the sleep from her eyes. ''Viserys? Vis... oh my... no. No,'' avalon whimpered. ''Viserys.''

+

Avalon watched as Mouse stood at the top of the hill. She couldnt burn Viserys. She couldnt. They were supposed to have more years together. Aemond leaned back into her as she stared at Viserys wrapped up body.

''Daemon.'' Avalon whispered. ''Mouse can't I can't-'' she whimpered. Daemon kissed her temple.

''I will get Caraxes.'' He offered and avalon nodded as he stepped back but Rhaenyra ground out in pain Avalon turn back to her. Harwin grabbed her arm stabling her.

''It's coming. The baby it's coming.'' she shouted doubling over

''What do we do your grace?''

''Rhaenyra is alive we tend to her now.'' Avalon told them confidently holding back more tears. ''Get her off her feet. Get her situated.'' Avalon told them she couldn't pull her eyes away from mouse. Daemon came back with caraxes to see Rhaenyra being led away

'' What's going on?''

''The babies coming.'' Avalon told him as Harwin carried Rhaenyra away. Daemon nodded but didnt leave avalons side. "I can't leave him." Avalon said. "Go be with her.'' Avalon whispered

''Men don't know what to do in a birthing chamber.'' he told her as he wrapped his arms around her. ''But here by your side I know exactly what you need.' And he held her as she cried into him

''I don't want to be gone.'' Avalon whimpered

''I'm sorry Avalon. But I'm here for you.'' Daemon told her. 'I'm never going to leave you again.'' Avalon didn't know how long he held her there it could've been minutes it could've been hours it could have been days for all she knew the sun was setting and Viserys body lay before them still unburnt and lifeless.

''Daemon I missed you.'' Avalon whimpered. 'Don't go away again.'

''Never again.'' Daemon promised.

+

''She's losing too much blood''

''Princess stop pushing.'

''What's going on?''

''Too much blood too much blood''

''My baby?'' Rhaenyra said weakly as she paled. ''My baby?'' She held tight to Alicent's hand but her grip softened as she kept losing blood.

''Get Ser-''

''My ba...'' rhaenyras words drifted off as her heart stopped and her breath expelled one last time.

+

Avalon and Daemon stared at the bodies before them. Rhaenyra. Viserys. A baby boy.

Jace, luke and joffrey looked to avalon as daemon summoned caraxes.

''DRACARYS.'' He demanded holding onto avalons hand. Aemond leaned back against Avalon and he felt her tears dropping onto his head. Avalons nose sniffled as she turned into Daemon. Harwin looked down at her. He finally didn't have to hide and Rhaenyra was gone. A baby boy that wouldn't be a bastard, gone.

Avalon thought back to the scroll. Viserys had named Avalon his one true Heir.