29; americano

taehyun and yeonjun met up at a small cafe near them. they didn't need to plan anything special, the cafe was a safe space that the both of them shared before yeonjun introduced taehyun to the friend group, so they both would go there whenever they wanted to hang out.

when taehyun entered the small but cozy shop, he saw yeonjun at their usual table, scrolling on his phone.

"you're early." taehyun commented once he sat down, and yeonjun immediately put his phone aside and smiled fondly at the younger.

"i know, i didn't want to disappoint you."

taehyun rolled his eyes playfully at that, and yeonjun stuck out a tongue at him.

"the same order?" yeonjun asked, getting up to go order at the cashier.

"i want an americano." taehyun interrupted, and yeonjun's eyebrows instantly shot up.

did he hear it wrongly? the kang taehyun wanted ice americano? the one who could barely take a sip of caramel macchiato without wincing?

"why are you looking at me like that?" taehyun asked, sounding more amused than confused, "i heard that drinking americano is good for your skin."

yeonjun didn't question further, and placed the order. he waited by the side of the cashier, eyes slowly wandering to taehyun's figure. he looked extra snuggly with the fluffy sweater, his newly dyed brown hair looked like a fluffy chestnut.

he missed taehyun.

when he finally got the coffee, he placed one in front of taehyun, and he stared at him, waiting for him to take a sip.

"why are you staring at me like that?"

"i want to see you drink it."

taehyun snorted, and he placed the straw in his mouth. once the coffee entered his mouth, he instantly winced, which caused yeonjun was let out a loud laugh.

"stop it." taehyun whined.

"how's life so far?" yeonjun asked, choosing to ignore taehyun's whines. taehyun merely shrugged, stirring the coffee with the straw, staring mindlessly as the brown liquid went round and round.

"can be better, how about you?"

yeonjun didn't answer immediately, but instead took a while to pounder about the question.

"i messed up," yeonjun answered, taking a sip out of the coffee, "and i wanted to catch up with you."

"it's been a while." taehyun agreed.

it was a lot more awkward than before, they used yo be able to talk nonstop for hours, but now it was just polite and superficial answers.

"how's beomgyu?" yeonjun asked, not sure if he should bring beomgyu into the conversation so early on.

"you still care for him," taehyun replied, "i'm surprised."

"he's still my friend."

taehyun doesn't reply, but instead took another sip of the coffee making another weird face. part of him wants to dunk yeonjun with the coffee, but another part of him wanted to emphasise with him.

soobin and kai had their exams, and as a result, yeonjun didn't hang out with anyone for these few days. his own exams were over a long time ago, and now they were just preparing for graduation.

yeonjun looked exhausted, probably because the school assigned him to be the main performer in the graduation ceremony, which put him in constant stress and anxiety over getting everything perfect.

"have you been getting enough sleep lately?" taehyun asked, and yeonjun's eyes widened a little, and his hand flew to his eyes.

"shit, are my eyebags that bad?"

taehyun would have laughed, but yeonjun's anxious face only made taehyun feel even more concerned.

"are you alright hyung? have you at least went home to sleep in your own bed instead of the practice room?"

only taehyun knew that yeonjun sometimes slept overnight in the practice room, a secret that yeonjun begged taehyun not to tell the others because he didn't want then to worry.

"it's been a while..." yeonjun admitted, which earned a hard slap on his shoulder.

"beomgyu told me that he'll stay for your graduation." taehyun added in abruptly, and he saw yeonjun's eyes light up a bit.

"really?"

"yeah, do you want him to see you faint on stage?"

yeonjun smiled at that, and he went back to his drink.

"that doesn't mean that he isn't pissed anymore though."

yeonjun's smile faded a little, but he still managed to keep a small smile back on, self assuring himself.

"it's fine, as long as he turns up, i'm happy."

taehyun didn't get it. it was clear that yeonjun clearly did care for beomgyu, and he clearly loves him. then why did they even break up in the first place?

"beomgyu told me that you broke up with him because you never really liked him in the first place," taehyun mumbled, "is it true?"

"kind of. i do love him a lot," yeonjun replied, face suddenly sullen, "but i regret saying yes so quickly without much consideration."

taehyun thought he would get mad at yeonjun, mad at him for breaking up his crush's heart into millions of pieces, mad at him for not treasuring beomgyu enough, but he somehow couldn't.

"so you said that you love him a lot?"

"yeah, i do."

"beomgyu told me once that he found it strange how you agreed to be together so quickly, but he never really questioned it. but he told me that he actually felt loved when you two were together."

"really?"

"i would never lie to you hyung."

yeonjun seemed comforted at that.

"i regret not being able to like him more. i just saw him as my little brother that i never had."

it went quiet after that. taehyun's iced coffee started melting, making the coffee diluted.

"you should try talking to him again." taehyun suggested, sipping the diluted coffee that he much preferred.

"does he allow me to? he blocked me from everywhere." yeonjun let out a bitter laugh.

"you graduate before he does. his graduation is a week after yours."

yeonjun raised an eyebrow, was taehyun hinting something?

"his favourite flowers are tulips."

taehyun finished his coffee, and he got up from his seat, taking his bag and slinging it over his shoulder.

"he's presenting his artwork too, mr kim chose his. even if he doesn't admit it, he definitely wants to see you there."

with a small smile, taehyun left, leaving yeonjun alone in the cafe.

"did he seriously leave so he wouldn't pay for the coffee?" yeonjun mumbled with a small smile, and his heart a lot lighter.

——————————————————————————

a/n: this book has 3k reads oh my god thank uu😭😭