Chapter 3

Third Person POV:

About an hour later, Sam arrived at Colby's house with his school bag. He then rang the doorbell and waited until a boy with red hair and blue eyes opened the door. "Hey there cute thing, what brings you here?" the boy asked him. "Please don't call me that and second I'm here to see Colby," Sam said.

"Why would you see him when you could see me," the boy said. "Tyler leave him alone," Colby said as he was walking down the stairs. "Ready to work on the project?" Colby asked him. "Yup," Sam said with a smile on his face. Tyler, being mad, grabbed a vase and smashed it on the floor. Nancy then walked into the living room and saw the mess. "What the hell happened here?" she angrily asked. "Cole broke another vase mom," Tyler smirked. Colby didn't say anything but looked at the floor. "Cole, clean it up now!" Nancy demanded. "I-I'm sorry to intrude ma'am but Tyler was the one who smashed the vase, not Colby," Sam truthfully said. "And you are?" Nancy asked. "I'm Sam and I came to see Colby," Sam said. "Oh really," Nancy said with gritted teeth. "Yes ma'am, we have to work on our biology project," Sam said.

Colby's POV:

"Well, it doesn't matter who broke it, I just want this place cleaned up. Do you understand Cole?" Nancy told me. "Yes, ma'am," I muttered. I then went into the kitchen and grabbed a broom and dustpan and swept the broken glass. Once I was done, I was about to enter the kitchen when "Cole!" "Yes ma'am?" I asked while turning to look at Nancy. "Remember to make dinner once you throw away the trash or else!" Nancy demanded. I just nodded my head and went to the kitchen. Once I threw away the trash I right away made some mac and cheese and some grilled chicken. Once I was done, I left the kitchen to see Nancy and Tyler talking with Sam who was kind of uncomfortable sitting next to Tyler.

"Dinner is ready," I told them. "Sam dear, would you like some dinner?" Nancy asked Sam. "No thank you, ma'am, I already ate," Sam told her. "Come on Sam, let's go work on our project," I told him. Sam then got up and we went upstairs to my room. So much for a good impression, I thought to myself.

Sam's POV:

Throughout the whole time I was talking with Tyler and his mom, Tyler would try to either hold my hand or get really close to me. I was very uncomfortable and his mom didn't do anything about it. "You know Sam, you and Tyler look cute together." I then tensed up since I really didn't like Tyler that way. I was about to say something when Colby entered. "Come on Sam, let's go work on our project," he told me. I then got up and followed Colby up the stairs to his room. "Colby, can I ask you something?" I asked him as he was locking up his door.

"Sure Sam, what's up?" Colby asked me. "Why do your mom and Tyler treat you like that?" I asked him. Colby right away tensed up after mentioning his mom. "Nancy is not my mom, she's my stepmom," he told me. "So is Tyler-" "my stepbrother? Yes," he replied. "Oh well, what happened to your mom? I mean you don't have to tell me if you don't want to," I told him as I tried not to make him uncomfortable. "Well, my mom died seven years ago when I was ten. My mom and I were walking to the store when a car was speeding down the road. In order to protect me, my mom pushed me out of the way and she ended up getting run over." "Oh, I'm so sorry I shouldn't have asked," I told him as I hugged him. "It's ok you were just curious," he replied. "My dad remarried when I was twelve. Nancy would always treat me nice when my dad is around but when he is at work, she would physically abuse me and make me be her and Tyler's servant. Tyler also bullies me at school as well." "Why don't you just tell your dad?" I asked him. "Nah, he won't believe me," he told me. "That's why I can't wait until I graduate. So I can leave this hellhole."