I left the room and saw Louis sitting in one of the chairs outside the room. He instantly got up when he saw me.

"Is everything okay?" He asked.

I shook my head. "I'll tell you when we get to the car." I said.

He nodded and put his hand on my lower back to lead me outside. We got into the car and I took a deep breath. This was all so much.

"What's going on, Emery?" He asked.

"He has cancer, Louis." I said, tears returning to my eyes.

"I'm so so sorry. Is there anything they can do to help it?"

"No. It's too late." I cried. "My Dads going to die Louis."

"You don't know that." He said grabbing my hand.

"It's spread too far! I'm gonna lose him any day now! What am I supposed to do without him? He's my only family." I sobbed, putting my face in my hands.

"Calm down, it's gonna be okay." He told me.

I shook my head. "No! How can I calm down knowing that?"

"Emer-"

"I'm not gonna have anyone left...nobody. I'm gonna be all alone. And what about the diner? How am I going to fix everything without him-"

I was cut off by his lips being pressed to mine. I didn't kiss him back at first. I was in shock. His hand cupped my face as he kissed me so delicately. I finally kissed back after I'd gotten over the shock of his doing it in the first place.

I placed my hand on the side of his neck, feeling the warmth of his soft skin beneath it. The kiss was slow and soft. Not rough, no sexual intentions in it at all. We pulled away after a few more seconds.

"Why did you kiss me?" I asked, our foreheads pressed together, his hands still on my face and mine on his.

He closed his eyes for a brief second before opening them again, the blue piercing into my own eyes.

"To get you to stop." He whispered.

I couldn't help but feel a little upset by this. Did it mean nothing to him or did it mean something like it did to me? Was it simply just to make me shut up? I wasn't going to ask and embarrass myself so I just pulled away and buckled my seatbelt.

He looked a bit confused but did the same.

The drive home was silent. I'd finally stopped crying after Louis had kissed me. Although I felt like crying, I didn't. Once we got back to the house I went inside, not bothering to wait for Louis. I avoided Amy and Alex, not wanting to have to say the words I dreaded since I heard them.

Instead, I went to Zayns room and knocked on the door.

"Come in," he called out.

I opened the door and stepped inside the room, closing it behind me. Zayn was sitting on his bed with his phone in his hand, scrolling.

He set his phone down once he saw me and sat up.

"Hey, how'd it go?" He asked, his deep brown eyes finding mine.

"I don't wanna talk about right now." I said as I got onto the bed.

He nodded as I wrapped my arm around his waist and rested my head on his chest. He tested his chin on my head and slowly rubbed my back.

"It's okay," he whispered soothingly.

I wasn't crying, but he knew I wasn't okay. I don't think I will be for a while. I didn't know what to do. I don't know how I'll he able to handle it if he dies. Without him all I'll have is Amy and Alex. I'm so grateful I have them. Or else I'd have nobody.

Like my Dad said, there's no treatment they can do at this point. I mean, I'm sure there's a chance it could help him but it's not likely.  I don't know how much longer I have left with him. But what I do know is that I'm going to make the best of the time we have left.

***
Zayn and I layed together for a while and ended up falling asleep. When I woke up it was 9 pm. I sat up, making Zayns arm fall down onto his stomach. I left his room and walked down to the kitchen to get some food. I opened the fridge and found some leftover pizza, quickly heating it up and eating it along with a can of Pepsi.

Once I finished it, I took care of my dish and sat back down to finish my drink and have some time alone to think.

Louis kissed me.

I haven't really thought about what happened until now. My Dad is more important then some silly kiss that probably meant nothing. But if it was supposed to mean nothing, why did I feel something? Why did my chest feel warm and fuzzy if It meant nothing?

It was only to shut me up as Louis told me. But was it really? Maybe it had meant something to him too.

"How are you feeling?" Louis himself said sitting beside me.

I glanced over at him before replying. "Fine,"

"You're not fine." He disagreed.

I rolled my eyes at him. "I don't wanna talk about it, okay?"

"Can we talk about what happened earlier then?" He asked, looking at me expectantly.

"What about earlier?" I acted as if I didn't care.

"Are you mad at me?" He asked.

I didn't know how to answer. I wasn't particularly mad, more disappointed. Disappointed that I thought it actually meant anything.

I shook my head. "No."

He scoffed. "You're lying."

"How?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Because," he said. "You ignored me the whole way home and then ran off to Zayns room."

I shrugged. "So?"

"Would you just tell me why you're mad?" He said sounding a bit frustrated.

"Just leave me alone Louis." I said.

"I don't understand why you're mad. You're the one who ignored me." Louis said.

"Don't you get it Louis? I ignored you for a reason!" I said, raising my voice in frustration.

"For what! For kissing you when you were upset?" He snapped back.

I pointed my finger at him. "For that! You didn't mean it. It was simply to shut me up."

"Of course I meant it. I don't just kiss people for no reason Emery!" He argued.

"Well your reason, and I quote was 'to get you to stop'. I mean, do you even care or was it all simply because I was annoying you!" I said.

"Are you fucking kidding me right now?" He rolled his eyes. "I've done so many things to show you I care!"

Just as I was about to respond Harry steps into the kitchen.

"I hate to interrupt whatever the fuck is going on, but we have to go trade off the money we stole from the bank." Harry announced.