Chapter Four - Mahogany

Entering the Mess hall later that evening I saw a familiar face. Though not as extragivant as I was used to seeing her.

"Effie." I rushed over putting my plate down and hugged her.

"Oh." She breathed returning it.

"What are you doing here?" I asked

"I am a Political refugee." She answered me as the two of us sat down with each other. Weirdly the familiar faces I was most happy to sea I had met because of my time during the games.

"Plutarch rescued you?" I questioned

"Rescued, yes, that's what he calls it. You and I were both in the dark. Now I'm condemned to this life of jumpsuits." She reached over to shake Gale and Kat's hands

"Wonderful to see you again." They smiled in return.

"Can you believe this place. I miss Coffee." She held up he glass of water. then put it back down with a thud.

"And mahogany." I smiled slightly

"Yes, very much so. I never knew anyplace could be so strict. I mean, I thought at least in the higher ranks there'd be some side action. I miss my wigs. Luckily I remembered this was all the rage when I was coming up . You know everything old can be made new again. Like democracy." She cleared her throat.

"Which brings me to this" She hands me a portfolio and I opened it. I saw sketches and fabric samples with my mockingjay pin.

"Cinna." I trailed my hand over his work.

"He's dead isn't he." I looked at my escort. Who had a sad look.

"Yes dear. He made Plutarch promise not to show you this until you'd decided to be the mockingjay on your own. He knew the risks, as we all do. I carefully moved through the sketches.

"He believed in this revolution. He believed in you." I saw his last message to me on the last page. 'I'm still betting on you - Cinna'

"They're beautiful." She put her hand on mine.

"They have it. They have the mockingjay outfit. There's not much of a prep team here in 13 but we will make you the best dressed rebel in history."

"Thank you Effie."

----------------

I scrunched my face up as two women were asked to do my make up. It was heavy and they were inexperienced I daren't have the heart to say anything. However Effie didn't have a problem with that.

"Stop, what are you savages doing?" She took the eyeshadow and blusher brush off them. She took my chin. "This is the face of a revolution. Not some cave painting" She looked at both of them

"Well, scoot." They left "Have you ever even met rouge?"

"Thank you." I called to them

"Don't worry Lily.." She began to wipe the power off my face "We will make this work, for you, for me and for Cinna. Once I fix this mess. She began doing my make up.

"When Plutarch said you looked different he was not kidding. You beautiful hair, with a scalpel tut, tut."

"A little was with a scalpel, the rest Katniss did to make it look even."

"What will Peeta say when he sees you." She sighs running her hands through my short hair.

"Effie, it's only hair."

"Long brown main of hair."

"Yeah, well at the time I was unhinged. Still not sure if I'm still."

------