Chapter Seventeen - Danger Ahead

The next morning we were getting ready to leave when Boggs called our attention.

"Okay listen up." he held up a mag. "Empty mag. It's only for the propo." He fixed it to the gun and handed it to Peeta.

"Let's move. Five blocks North." I went over to Finn, and rested my hand on his arm.

"Keep a eye on him, please." he looked down at me

"Sure."

"Thank you." I went up front and we moved out. While we walked I heard Finn going over lines with Peeta. Who was repeating them back to him. We all came to a Courtyard.

"Boggs this is a good spot. Right there in the courtyard." Cressida called

"Okay. Let us clear it." Boggs went down first scanning for pods. There was nothing before we stopped at two buildings.

"Got a pod. Split take cover." I took the left with half and Boggs took the right with the others.

"Stay back" I grabbed a rock and threw it in. Two machine guns flew out and started rapidly shooting. I covered my head as debris and bullets flew past us. When it finally stopped I stood up.

"All clear. Gale, Holmes with me. Leegs take the wings." Boggs called. My brother went out and I watched as the five of them checked the perimeter. I turned my gaze to Finn.

"Seriously Finn, you find this moment of everything amusing?" He just rolled his eyes. That was when I noticed Peeta, he was shaking and breathing heavily. Muttering to himself.

"Pe-" I was cut off by an explosion. I snapped my head round the corner. Boggs was on the ground. I took off.

"Mellark!"

"Boggs!" I dropped my bow and crouched down next to him. "Boggs." I breathed he was shaking in shock and in pain, his legs had been blown off.

"The Holo, grab the holo." I reached over to grab it and give it to him.

"Unfit for command, transfer security clearance. Say your name." he held it up to me

"Lily Mellark." It scanned my face and bleeped "What just happened?"

"Don't trust them, do what you need to, kill Peeta if you have too." He stuttered then I saw the life leave his eyes.

"Boggs, Bogs?" His cold eyes stared up at me, I was the last thing he saw and he trusted me with the thing I needed to leave the others. Yet I couldn't, not anymore. Holmes tried to save him but it was no use.

"He's gone." Gale muttered. I heard one of the Leegs groaning. her twin went to help her but stepped on a pressure pad. Another Pod. Exits out of the court hard began to close, the a black substance was released and it came gushing down.

"GO, GO, GO!" my brother yelled. I grabbed my bow and the holo then took off running.

"Let's go soldiers!"

"Get to higher ground." I was yanked back and sent to the floor, only one person who would do that right now. I rolled out of the way onto my back. Mitchell tackled him, the fought as I jumped to my feet. Peeta pushed him into the goo and barbed wires yanked him back up on all fours killing him. Finn, grabbed onto Peeta.

"Lily, come on." Kat pulled me away and we ran into one of the buildings. We ran as far as we can but came to and end because the rest of the stair well had been blown in the middle. On one side Leeg 2 was being lowered to the ground with her injury. On the other Holmes was sedating my frantic husband.

"It's slowing down." Cressida stated as it reached the last step to us and then began to drain away. "The game-makers are still putting on quite a show." I shifted my gaze to Peeta who's eyes were shut as he laid on the ground.