Chapter Twenty One - Moves and Countermoves

Beeping is the first thing I remember when I woke up. Then dim lights of a hospital, wonderful I was in a hospital...again. Then I remember why I was in a hospital, the explosion, the fire. The death of my Mother and surrogate sister. I tried to sit up.

"Hey, I need you to lay back. You're OK. Everything is going to be Ok." I fell back asleep. When I awoke again. Mrs Everdeen was attending my wounds. Why was she working? I thought she would be mourning, as I was for Primrose. For my own mother.

---

"Fight was over after the Capitol dropped those bombs to defend the palace. The rebels walked right in." Haymitch was telling me. I winced looking at Mrs Everdeen.

"Don't Lily. The ointment's working." she told me

"Everybody felt it. Peacekeepers, palace guards. They had kids in there too. It was..." he broke sentence effected by what happened "It was over after that."

"Where's Rory? Was he...Did he..."

"Lily." I snapped my head and I saw Rory, Vik and Posy. They all had puffy eyes from crying. I broke down seeing them as they ran over. I hugged them and cried at the same time.

"Your safe, I thought... I saw Mom and Rosie.. And then. Oh god I thought I lost you." I sobbed

"I'm OK." Rory replied "We're okay." I looked at Mrs Everdeen

"Mrs Everdeen. I'm so sorry." She shook her head and took my arm finishing her work. Haymitch left with Mrs Everdeen.

"Look at you. I have never been more grateful to see that moppy hair." Rory strangled a laugh

"When you were brought in... do you like hospitals or something?" Vick asked

"No, of course not." I played with Posy's fingers.

"Where's Gale?" I question

"He feels guilty. He said he couldn't see you." Vick informed me. I wondered why when it hit me. The formation on what was carried out. It was what Gale was talking about on the hovercraft to District 2. Was it his bombs that killed Mom and Rosie. Did he make us orphans? They left and Peeta came in.

"Lily!" He ran over to my side and kissed me. "Don't ever worry me like that again."

"Can't promise anything. You know me, danger loves me." I try and joke. I saw him grip his hand and a look came over his eye he was fighting, fighting his episode. Fighting the Snow even now. I waited patiently till he calmed down.

"I'm sorry about your Mom. And about Rosie." he apologised

"Have you seen Katniss?"

"She won't come out of her room. She just cries." I felt sympathy wash over me. Once I was out of this bed I would go and see her. After the ointment worked I went to do exactly that. I opened her door and she looked up.

"Lily" I ran to hug her as she cried some more.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I muttered stroking her head

"She's gone. She's really gone." We sat there for a while until she looked up.

"You lost your Mom." I nodded

"I saw her. I saw her and Rosie right before... I tried to get them but it happened so fast." i tried to explain, what a part of me was so guilty for, not reaching them faster for pulling them away even though I might have been caught in the blast as well.

"I don't blame you. I could never blame you."

"Kat, I need to tell you something." I breathe, this was probably the worst thing that I would do. But i needed to tell her, she needed to know, heaven forbid she found out ever or from anyone else other than me.