Chapter Thirteen - District 2

We landed in District 2, 30 minutes later. We all walked out and were met by a man.

"Welcome to District 2. I'm Corporal Holmes. You follow me please." We did so heading to the main strong hold when there was and explosion. I ducked slightly them looked back to see what was going on.

"Don't worry, it's just how the loyalists say good morning." We walked past a bunch of rebels who were casually watching and keeping guard at the same time. It was then we met with Commander Lyme and patched into a conversation with Coin.

"President Coin, we're indebted to you for the reinforcements and the mockingjay. But I'm not sure that anyone outside of 2 knows what we've been up against. This is the nut." She brought up a hologram of a mountain.

"The Capitol's head quarters for all offensive operations. It's manned by both military and civilian personnel from district 2. As you can see the fortress lies so far beneath the bedrock, it's untouchable. Yesterday we attempted to take the northeastern gate. The enemy countered from higher up and we were forced to pull back. We took heavy losses." I looked at her and I could tell that she lost someone important.

"Could we create a decoy?" District 5's commander asked.

"Send troops to one gate, launch a staggered attack on another."

"Whose troops do you propose as decoy Commander?" Paylor asked. Now she was a person who I like and respected. She would make a good President.

"We have the mockingjay. Don't underestimate her. We could use her to erode support. She maybe able to sway some of the loyalists." Wow such faith in me.

"You've been underground a long time Madam Coin. This isn't like the rest of Panem. Support for the Capitol runs deep here." Commander Lyme countered back.

"Then there is no sacrifice to great. We need to control the arsenal inside that fortress. Even with every district in this alliance, we're outgunned."

"I won't commit my people to a ground assault just to pillage weapons." Paylor denied

"Commander Paylor, your people have suffered more than just about anybody else at the hands of the Capitol." Coin looked at her through the screen

"Which is why I won't condemn a mass suicide." Paylor argued back.

"If we don't take district 2 we won't get into the Capitol."

"Would it be enough to disable the fortress instead of taking it?" Gale questioned

"What do you have in mind?" Lyme asked

"You think of it like a wolf den. You're not gonna fight your way in, so you've got 2 choices. You trap the wolves inside or you flush them out. If we can't attack straight on then couldn't we use our hovercraft to strike around it? We'll use the mountains. We'll hit weak spots in the peaks." You are you and what have you done with my brother? I thought

"We could design the bomb targets in sequence using seismic data." Beetee added

"Trigger avalanches." Lyme caught

"Block all exits, cut of their supplies. You make it impossible for them to launch their hovercraft."

"Bury them alive." Paylor finished. I could tell already she was against the idea

"We'd forfeit any chance to control the weapons." Coin interjected

"Yes, but we'd face a weekend Capitol." Beetee reasoned

"There's civilians in there. They should be given a chance to surrender." Boggs added now he was thinking straight "Could use one of the supply tunnels for the evacuees." He offered