Chapter Twenty Three - Tip of the arrow

The rhythmic beating of the drums echoed in my ears as I walked out of what once was the procession of the tributes. Rebels and people of the Capitol watched as I made my way down. The fighters gathered behind me and followed me along till the very end. I saw Coin in all pale grey stand looking victorious and proud. She had 'won' She was 'president' of all Panem and she 'had' the Mockingjay in her 'pocket'. The six remaining victors waited in 3 on either side Betee, Enarobia and Annie. Peeta, Haymitch and Johanna.

I came to a stop in front of everyone but most importantly in front of Snow. He was certainly dressed for the occasion. Even his signature white rose where my mark would be. I looked unwavering into his eyes, as Coin began.

"Welcome, to the new Panem." She held out her arms as if welcoming all of them "Today on the avenue of tributes, all of Panem, a free Panem, will watch more than a mere spectacle.

"We are gathered to witness an historic moment of justice. Today the greatest friend to the revolution will fire the shot to end all wars. May her arrow signify the end of tyranny and the beginning of a new era." Snow looked at me as if he was say 'I told you so' over and over again 

"Mockingjay, may your aim be as true as your heart is pure." I removed one of my arrows and slid int into the bow before drawing back aiming it at Snow. I watched his eyes change to another hidden message

'Oh Miss Hawthorne, I thought we agreed never to lie to each other.' He was right, we did. It may have been one of my brothers plans. But he never gave the order. Snow wouldn't kill his people children. He lost and was willing to admit it even in the face of death. The one who had the most to gain though...Coin.

My gaze shifted upwards to her as I let the arrow go in that single moment. As with every shot I made since I was a little girl. The arrow lodged in it targets heart. Killing her instantly. Snow cackled as everyone around me gasped in shock at what I had just done. I took the pill from my shoulder ready to see my mother and father once again. Only I wasn't about to be let go that easy. Peeta snatched it from my hand.

"No!" I protested as I was dragged away by two guards. I watched as my view of Peeta was taken way buy rebels trampling towards the momentarily alive Snow. Shot at him or not. He was dead and I had won twice over. I had retribution for the man I loved and my family. Even though my only decent and none painful way of death was taken away. It was not bad going for the Mockingjay.

I was escorted into one of the many rooms with at least four guards. The door shut behind be with two men keeping their beady eye on me. Well I did not expect this outcome. I removed my finger gloves preparing myself to get comfortable. I don't know how long I would see someone other than the two men. I don't know how long it was but I rested against a wall with my feet up, toying with my wedding ring. The door finally opened and one guard came in whispering to my personal bodyguards. Both he and them left only to be replaced with...Haymitch. Well I'm glad it's no one threatening.

"I hope no one expects me to apologise. I did everyone a favour." He sighs sitting down next to me.

"I'll say this for you Lily." He started "You don't disappoint." I shrugged nonchalantly at him

"Plutarch gave me a leeter for you."

"Don't want it." I replied

"You never make it easy do you?" he grumbled and I smirked towards his direction. Even now I couldn't resist messing with him.

"Now where would be the fun in that? You handle it so well."

"Okay, I'll read it for you..."

Lily

Maybe the country was shocked tonight by your arrow, but once again I was not. You were exactly who I believed you were. I wish I could give you a proper goodbye. But with Snow and Coin dead, the fate of the country will be decided tonight and I can't be seen by your side. Tonight the 12 district leaders will call for a free election.