Chapter Nineteen - Pain and Loss

It was nearly the end of my watch, everyone else was asleep when I heard rumbling. I took out the holo and jumped into the sewer to take a look. Shining the torch I looked for anything out of the ordinary. But though I couldn't see anything just hear the distant rumbling continuing .

"Lily, Lily, Lily." I looked back at Peeta waking up startled. There was a hissing coming as I looked at my husband.

"Lily?" I lifted my finger shakily to my lips and then pointed to my ear.

"What is that?" Jackson asked

"We gotta go. We gotta get outta here now. Mutts they released mutts." Peeta stressed getting up

"Pollux, what's the fastest way out." He joined me and pointed in a direction. Gale shot a fire arrow to determine the distance. Taking the lead he walked us through, yet I could still here the hissing and that scared me. We reached the end and Gale shot another arrow giving us some light. There was a fair size hole which Pollux slipped through to check out. I waited, my heavy breathing evident. He came back and gave us the go ahead.

I went through last heading up the back, and while waiting for Jackson there was this might roar. They were here. They took Jackson first and attempted to get through but I fired one of my red arrow causing a big blast. I knocked me back and them boys started yelling for Pollux to lead us out. I was lifted to my feet and we started running. There were more screams

"Castor!" I yelled seeing him being mauled. Cressida fired at them while took another one of my arrows.

"Fall back!" Kat yelled before I fired another one. But I couldn't save Holmes as he was attacked and killed. We ran into a what should lead us to an exit. Kat and I took and exit shooting arrows at the lizard mutts . The surrounded us and I shot them down. I stabbed one in the face, trying to keep him off of me. I thought I was done for when it was jumped and tackled to the ground. Peeta grunted but I couldn't stop as I roundhouse kicked another one. trying then to help Peeta, a mutt grabbed me and flung me to a metal walkway. Leaving me disorientated.

Coming back up Gale, Katniss and Peeta were fighting off mutts. I went for Peeta first, taking out a knife i had. wrestling it to the ground I shoved the knife deep killing it. Peeta was dragged away by another. But I couldn't get to him because one cornered me. Finnick saved me with his trident though. A mutt bit through Peeta's restrains and Cressida shot them screaming at them to go. I fought them off as Peeta, Cressida, Messala and Katniss went up the ladder

"Go, go, go!" Finn yelled at me lifting me up. I ran to the ladder and went up.

"Lily!" Finn screamed as one tried to get at me. He threw his trident leaving him with a knife. Once I was at the top I looked back over. Finn was the last one and he was coming up the ladder when half a dozen putts pulled him back.

"No!"

"Finnick!" I screamed. I watched at they began to tore him apart. I began to sob as there was only one thing I could do to spare his suffering. I took out the holo and flicked the switch of the self destruct.

"Nightlock, Nightlock, Nightlock." I tearfully spoke dropping it and exploding the mutts with Finnick.

"We need to keep moving." Gale dragged me to my feet as we came out into the underground. Peacekeepers were waiting for us. I shot my last red arrow at them and took off running. Spotlights randomly appeared disintegrating Messala. Cressida looked on in shock. I took her arm and told her to keep going . We kept dodging the lights till we reached a point.

The floor broke apart and grinders chased us on our heels. Nearing the exit we jumped and the grinders came to an end. Scrambling up to my feet I saw Peeta was next to me. I grabbed my bow.