Chapter 21: You Look Sad Today

Y/N stared down at the cherry tomato absent-mindedly. They weren't feeling like themself. For some reason, they felt a bit down. But they didn't know why. Satou noticed them just staring at their food and anxiety filled her heart. She would be upset with herself if Y/N didn't like what she had cooked. "Y/N-chan, does it taste bad or something? I'm sorry if it does.." she mumbled worriedly. Y/N perked up and reassured her with a smile. "No, don't worry! It's good!" they tried to sound like their usual cheerful self. Satou nodded and Y/N let out a little giggle. "Cherry tomatoes are adorable, aren't they? So small and sweet." they said, making Satou chuckle.

"Satou-senpai, are you okay? You don't seem like yourself today." Satou's co-worker, Su, remarked as they were changing into their work uniforms. Satou had been frowning into her cabinet for a while, but she turned upon hearing Su's worried statement. "Today's a bit off for me, but don't worry, I'm fine." she replied, covering up her unease with a small smile.

But as soon as she turned back to her cabinet, a sad expression adorned her face. She thought about the morning she had with Y/N. How off they had been. How distant they seemed. 'Y/N-chan is feeling down. It fills my heart with a horrible anxiety.' the image of Y/N's forced smile came into Satou's mind, making her wince. She crouched down to get something. Su observed her the entire time. She exclaimed when she saw the numerous keychains and ornaments that were on Satou's bag. "Satou-senpai, your bag looks like a sweet haven! How adorable!" she gushed. Satou didn't care for any compliments Su made, but she turned and smiled either way. "Oh, thanks. Fake sweets and such used to really be my thing." she said in a casual tone.

Satou's eyes caught something. It was something quite small, it could've easily gone unnoticed. Her tie had been tampered with, and her tie pin was completely removed. Someone had rummaged through her things because Satou was an extremely neat and tidy person.

It puzzled her. Why would any of the friendly staff members tamper with her things? "Senpai~! Today, Shoko-senpai isn't coming in because she's taking today off, right? So it's the first time that just the two of us are working together." Su walked up to Satou. Satou stood up. "Yep, so let's work hard today, yeah?" she replied. Su nodded excitedly. She rushed forward to exit the changing, but not before turning around and flashing Satou a bright, cheerful smile. "Let's work as hard as we can today, okay?" she said. Determination filled Satou at that statement.

'That's right. I need to work hard.' Satou walked over to the door where a customer had just walked in. She welcomed them as sweetly as she could. 'Because I dream of something. I need to work hard in order to make that dream come true.' Satou smiled widely at that.

As she wiped down a table, she got an idea on what to make for dinner. 'I know! Today I'll make rice omelet for dinner! Y/N-chan loves rice omelet.' visions of Y/N's gentle, satisfied smile and their adorable voice filled Satou's mind. Satou blushed at the thought of cheering up her beloved Y/N. She was snapped out of her fantasies by the sound of water spilling and an angry shout. She turned her dreamy face towards the source of the noise out of instinct.

A man holding a cigarette looked down at his wet lap in anger. He had spilled the water that Su had put down in front of him and it was still dripping down onto him. "Damn it, now I'm all wet! So, what are you gonna do to fix this mess you made, huh?" the man growled in annoyance, looking up at the brown-haired girl. Su was equally as annoyed as the man. She brought the tray she was carrying and used to cover her mouth. "I'm pretty sure that it was you who made that mess..." she muttered bitterly. Unfortunately, the man heard her and exclaimed. "What was that!? Bring out your manager, I wanna speak to them!" he shouted. Su was hesitant because she didn't want to lose her job. But Satou came by and calmed the situation down.

The pink-haired girl bent down in front of the man and pressed a wiping cloth against his drenched jeans. She looked up at him with a sweet, innocent smile. The man blushed at her beauty and serene expression. "I am so terribly sorry about the inconvenience, sir! Are you hurt anywhere at all?" she asked in an apologetic voice. She rubbed the wet patches and the man's face turned even redder. "I-It's fine!" the man spluttered. "Oh, and by the way, this is a non-smoking establishment. I do hope this doesn't inconvenience you." Satou smiled politely. The man immediately put out his cigarette and mumbled an apology as he did so. It was amazingly sickening, really. How someone's beauty or cuteness could turn a person's personality around. Su observed everything play out with a blank look on her face. There really was no end to her admiration and adoration for Satou. She was such an ethereal being to her. She craved to be adored by Satou all the same. Su desired Satou and everything about her. Su loved her. "Thank your for understanding! I'm forever grateful for the patience you've had with us today!" she heard her lovely voice sing out. How could somebody be so heavenly and wonderful?

She had to address it. She couldn't hold herself back anymore. Su wanted to let Satou know that she loved her more than she lets off everyday. She loved her more than her own existence.

"Satou-senpai, you're awesome, you know?" Su remarked at the end of their shift. Satou turned to Su, a puzzled look on her face. "You're absolutely gorgeous and you can handle any situation that life throws at you. I honestly wish I could have perfect looks and a perfect life like you." Su said in an admiring tone, her gaze never leaving her cabinet. Her smile dropped as she tied up a ribbon, hatred filling her heart as she thought about her life compared to Satou's. "Things aren't all perfect for me." Su was alerted by that sudden statement and turned her head to face Satou.

"I did something wrong one day, and things spiraled into chaos." she said calmly. Her eyes darkened as she thought about the true things that had happened. 'That's right. That night, I almost lost the most important piece of my heart.' she thought, facing her cabinet.

What had transpired that night came flowing back into her mind. Satou knew that it would never leave. It was a horrible bump in her journey of love with Y/N. "I'm never going to make such a reckless mistake again, for as long as I live. I'm going to face challenges and give them whatever I've got." Satou spoke. She was speaking mostly to herself. She forgot Su was even there. "You truly are a wonderful person, Satou-senpai!" Su ran up to Satou and cried joyfully.

Satou turned to face Su. The usually placid, plain-looking girl had an unusual look on her face. It was a type of excitement she had never seen before. The type of look and excitement Satou would always feel when she was with Y/N was adorning Su's pale, smiling face.