Chapter One: Altered Threads

MOONROUND Cafe is packed with the usual customers: Men in their business attire discussing business with their colleagues, random people who typically meet other people in the shop to get to know each other, and a bunch of undergrads with visible ...

MOONROUND Cafe is packed with the usual customers: Men in their business attire discussing business with their colleagues, random people who typically meet other people in the shop to get to know each other, and a bunch of undergrads with visible eyebags and exhaustion. Hyacinth sometimes wondered if the undergrads were stressed from academic presentations or the lack of sleep from it. Hyacinth wouldn't know. She never went to school to know the struggles and the pressure. She was home-schooled.

Hyacinth cleaned the empty tables and sanitized the brown leather of the couch. After that, she proceeded to do the same with the table near the entrance.

She could hear the rain outside the closed glass doors. It is a good thing that she lived nearby. She forgot to bring an umbrella today even though Sutton City—the capital of the country of Northern Isles—is famous for its cloudy weather throughout the year. The sun rarely comes out from behind the clouds. Others considered it a curse, especially for poor people, because they can't dry their laundry well. Others considered the gloomy and rainy weather as a blessing because it helped to wash the stinky, cockroach-infested streets.

"Haya!"

She immediately turned to look at the owner of the familiar voice. It is Jean Baden, secretary to the owner of the Bismarck Group of Companies.

"My felicitations, Jean. How's your honeymoon?"

Jean's cheek reddened. "Oh, Hyacinth. Andrei is the most amazing man."

Hyacinth smirked. "Said by the woman who stabbed Andrei behind his back months ago." She remembered the few months when Jean criticized Andrei for being approachable and charming while serving the cafe's customers. Jean said that Andrei is very much a fuck boy, no doubt about it.

Hyacinth smiled. Jean tends to badmouth whenever she feels extreme emotions but she knew deep inside her that Jean is the nicest person there is. Jean is loyal to the bone and will sacrifice her life for loyalty.

"I'm telling you, Haya, he has stabbed me countless times recently so we're even." Jean implied her sentence in a sexual way that Hyacinth's nose wrinkled. She sometimes wished that she could relate to her friend's jokes.

Hyacinth hugged Jean with all the love she could muster from her chest, her hand gloved with the classic rubber gloves from her cleaning cart. "I am happy for you both."

"My parents thought of me as stupid for marrying a bartender so we're not gonna go home on the weekends. If they can't see my happiness with Andrei, then the both of them can go to hell."

Hyacinth almost forgot that Jean's expertise is badmouthing other people easily, especially when she's angry.

Hyacinth's irises dilated when she saw a glistening thread dangling behind Jean's back. She only touched it a few times to find out necessary information regarding her friend out of concern. In this case, she touched the glistening thread to find out if Jean's relationship with Andrei will be a happy one or not. As soon as Hyacinth saw Jean and Andrei growing old together watching their grandkids nearby a lake, she convinced her friend to pursue Andrei. Hyacinth's opinions regarding some important matters are never neglected by her small circle of friends, especially when Hyacinth's opinions are always correct.