Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Intricacies of the Universe

TO PREVENT questions from the media regarding the whereabouts of Hyacinth, Max used Hyacinth's medical history as an excuse to tell the press that his wife is undergoing physiotherapy on the Oriental Continent. The Orientals are known for replenishing their body's lost energies through patience and meditations and shit like that, so Max found it as a cannon-fodder for the press.

Obviously, the media people won't bother finding Hyacinth to the Orient Seas just to verify his story because it is known worldwide that the wife of the multi-billionaire Bismarck was in a coma and lost some of her motor functions. That had been partially true. Hyacinth forgot how to tie her shoelaces and required most of his help sometimes.

Because of that, Max was also forced to visit the Oriental Continents every month for publicity. He doesn't want another rumor to arise for his lack of concern for his wife when the media people dubbed their marriage as the "modern fairytale", for Hyacinth Sinclair, a former janitress, married a powerful billionaire.

If only they knew that Hyacinth was never meant to happen in his life. If only they knew that the fairytale happened because Max was desperate to not let her daughter disappear into non-existence.

If only they knew how shamelessly he begged Hyacinth to alter their threads...to permanently link their fates.

The fairytale story--as the media called it--wasn't all cupcakes and rainbows. It included life-altering decisions, mysteries that are unexplainable and unseen to the naked eye, firm resolve to every choice they make, hope for the betterment of every outcome...even despair for the consequences of their actions.

Even though a few months have already passed since Hyacinth and Erin left, Max couldn't fill the hollowness that the two left in his heart. If what he's feeling right now is not despair, then he doesn't know what is.

At least, his longing was somewhat remedied by the baby Erin in his arms. At least he knew that a part of Hyacinth is with him...that Erin will be safe because of Hyacinth's sacrifice.

It just occurred to him that Hyacinth never left without a reason, after all. She needed to guide her daughter to the most crucial part of discovering their abilities. She never left her daughter's side. She never turned her back on her responsibilities.

The love inside his heart blossomed and expanded inside his chest. It is a feeling of hopefulness that no matter what happens, Hyacinth will do everything just to go back into his arms; to finally fulfill her promise of a kiss when she had whispered her goodbyes that cloudy afternoon of Erin's 2nd birthday.

The baby cooed and kissed his cheek. "Da-da!"

His eyes widened. "You just called me Da-da!"

Oh, his body was filled with warmth that continuously glowed inside of him as the baby with brilliant blue eyes giggled at his reaction. "Da-da!"

The old man sitting beside him chuckled at Erin's blabbering. "They grow up so fast, don't they?" the stranger had asked with its ghastly voice that almost sounded like he has pneumonia or tuberculosis or something.

"Yes, they do." His eyes moistened, anyway, still caught off-guard by Erin's first word. "And they sometimes change our fate into something extraordinary."

The old man chuckled and coughed at the same time. Max was momentarily worried about the lung condition of the stranger beside him. "Your red string glows like fire. You'll have a passionate life ahead of you. Full of love and fulfillment."

His brows clashed. The red string of fate?

Strings? Does he mean 'threads' of fate?

"You idiotic man." The guy beside him began to talk to interrupt his thinking. "You think I don't know about threads? That daughter of yours is a time traveler."