Chapter Forty-Three: Compromise

"MAXIMILLIAN, go to sleep."

"No."

"Max," Hyacinth warned. Her husband groaned and kissed her lips while his hands roamed free around her naked body. She shivered.

"I didn't wait for ten years just to be deprived of this again."

She rolled her eyes. "We still have tomorrow, Max."

Her husband smiled at her as the moonlight illuminated her nakedness on their bed. She blushed and tried to cover the stretchmarks on her stomach with her hands.

"Good god, Haya, this felt like a dream."

Her lips sought his mouth and he answered her with an overwhelming hunger and desire for the softness of her lips. He licked and nipped and sucked her kissers until they were swollen and throbbing from satisfaction.

"You're now years younger than me."

Hyacinth kissed the tip of his nose. "I would shag you even if you became the oldest man I know."

That made him chuckle. "Open your legs, wife."

She shook her head. "You need to rest, my love. Erin said that you haven't been sleeping on time and you've been drinking a lot. Since when did you find alcohol as an alternative to sleeping pills?"

Her husband's jaw tightened. "It had been rough for me, Haya. Are you angry that I ignored my health?"

She wrapped her legs around his hips to pull him closer to her. "I know that it had been hard for you, but we have a daughter, Max. She was worried about you," Hyacinth said softly. "Can we cut the alcohol now?"

"I could try-"

"But you never drink too much before, Max. Your alcoholism is caused by stress and anxiety. But I'm here now, right?" Hyacinth searched his eyes to see if Max agrees with her, but all she saw from those electric-blue eyes was...hurt.

He scoffed. "Too easy for you to say. It had been minutes for you, but it had been a whole damn decade for me. I'm not a robot, Haya. I have feelings and they tend to hurt like a bitch every time I think of you before."

He rose from the bed and picked up his pants from the cold, marbled floor.

Hyacinth sat on the bed and followed his every move with her gaze. Then, he opened the sliding windows of their room that connects to a spacious balcony.

She sighed. Max's pain wouldn't just go away just because she returned. He needed time to heal from the heartache and his bad coping mechanisms.

Hyacinth followed her husband to the balcony with all her naked glory visible to the skies above.

"Max, I know I've been demanding. I'm sorry. You were right. I-I shouldn't have reacted that way."

He didn't move. He just looked at the cloudy night sky while his elbow rested on the cold, balcony railings. "Our grandson from the future visited me while you're gone. He tried to explain the intricacies of the secrets of this universe. He said that there are different dimensions and that it was always a part of us. Connected to us in a form of thin threads."

Hyacinth nodded. "Erin said the same thing earlier when we reached a dimension where we could travel in time. She researched about it on the internet, she said."

Max sighed with a heavy heart. "I asked the universe every single day to bring you back to me. I even tried to bargain my wealth, the half of my life, even my soul if ever I have one." He turned to face her. "It hurts so much, Haya. It was so painful to find you in my dreams and then wake up on an empty bed."