Chapter Thirty-Nine: Philip's Endgame

Dear husband,

How's your day? How's Maine, by the way?

MAX read the first sentence of Hyacinth's letter to him. He straightened his spine as he looked at the letter with keen interest.

Well, Max thought, Maine traveled to the Western Isles for an art exhibition there.

According to his security team, Philip Mayers went to the country of Western Isles, too, right after Maine left.

"Haya, my sister will probably go home engaged or something."

Maine had been discreet with her secret meetings with the detective. Max's head of security reported that the two were spotted visiting a national library of archives, and going to restaurants here and there in the country of Northern Isles. There's this one time when his head of security spotted the two making out in the car.

There's no doubt that Maine's in some sort of a clandestine relationship with Philip. And, judging by his sister's sudden decision to leave the country for an "art exhibit" in the Western Isles, it seems like the two are having a rough patch. Maybe Maine's finally breaking off the summer affair with the detective. Max was happy with his speculation until Philip Mayers followed Maine to the Western Isles.

Max knew that Philip realized that Maine is more than just a fling. He shook his head. Those two are definitely going to elope.

.

.

MAINE sobbed against her palms and massaged the small bump on her stomach.

She's a fool for having an affair with a man who never wanted commitment. A man who wants nothing to do with her. A man who hates kids!

She knew the consequences of her relationship with Philip. Maine was the one who asked him to accompany her in her research regarding Hyacinth's ability. She's the one who invited Philip to countless dinners. She's the one who initiated every kiss in his car which, by the way, is the constant content of every gossip channel on the internet.

Maine acted against her instincts. For the first time in her life, she broke free from being a sheltered brat to becoming a normal human being who goes out and takes risks that leads to mistakes from time to time.

One thing led to another and before she knew it, she was already hanging out with Philip these past few months. She also volunteered to accompany him with his investigations to satiate her curiosity but that was just an excuse to be with him. Philip, on the other hand, didn't seem to mind.

That's when Maine discovered the cruel side of humanity. There are crimes in Sutton that could make one's stomach flip.

Aside from those horrible discoveries, Maine and Philip eventually went to a point that taught her that there's more to a man and a woman than stolen kisses and secret dinner dates.

They started having an illicit affair. They sometimes meet up in his home in Trudor Square and since his house is only a walking distance from hers, she sneaks out of the Bismarck mansion in the middle of the night to meet with her lover.

Oh, how her rebellion backfired.

But she'll never regret the baby. She's only scared that her brother might get disappointed with her for acting so rashly and for involving herself with a man who's older than her by ten years.

Someone knocked on her hotel suite. When she opened the door, she expected to see a housekeeping staff.

But Philip's thunderous expression greeted her instead.

Before she could close the door, Philip went inside and slammed the door shut behind him. "What the hell, Maine?! I only told you that I don't like kids. Why did you fly to the Western Isles after that?!"

"I wanted to think, you dipshit! I need space!"

He hissed. "Your reaction to my answer is suspicious, Maine, so I investigated. I thought that your brother sent you here to keep us apart, especially when his security team had been following you around. Maybe, they reported our relationship to your brother—"

"No. Max didn't give a damn about who I'm sleeping with. Thanks for your concern, though. You may leave!" Furious, Maine pushed Philip towards the door.

"Answer me this, Maine. Why did you react that way? I have my suspicions but I wanted to hear it from you."

Maine wanted to sob because of the pain she felt deep in her chest. How is she supposed to tell him that she got pregnant? Philip would be furious at her, maybe he'll ask her how the hell did it happen if she had been taking her contraceptives without a miss.

Yes, she didn't miss drinking her pills but she got mild food poisoning a few weeks ago and it caused her to vomit for days. Her OB-Sonologist told her that, maybe, it caused her to puke out the pills she'd been taking so, technically, she had unintentionally skipped a few days.

Philip waited for her to answer. It looked like he knew what was going on inside her mind.

"How far along are you?" He asked.

She couldn't take it anymore. Maine sobbed while staring at his softening expression. "Three weeks. I'm sorry, it's my fault."

He pulled her into his arms and she relaxed against him. "No, Maine. The baby is not a mistake."

"I know, but you'd been very careful. You even insisted to use condoms but I wanted pills and—"

"Why didn't you tell me in the first place? Why did you ask the stupid question if I like kids or not? Of course, I hate other kids. I can't discipline them because they're not mine."

Maine sobbed and her tears dampened his shirt. How can she stop falling for him if he's been understanding about her carelessness and impulsiveness? He allowed her to explore and make mistakes throughout their illicit affair. He treated her like she was not a young girl but a woman who has needs...desires.

Sometimes, she wondered if her fascination and attraction towards Philip is caused by her inner rebellion from being a proper young woman or by the temptation that he presented every time they kiss.

"Before we leave here in the Western Isles, I want to introduce you to my family."

Maine pulled away from him and sniffled. "You grew up here?"

A chuckle rose from his throat. "Yes, kitten. I want you to know my family before marrying you."

He's willing to do that?

"But...you don't like serious relationships, right?"

Philip cupped her face. "Why did you think I agreed to your advances? Do you think I'll take advantage of you just because you happened to be accessible?"

"No, but—"

"You were a virgin, Maine. Damn you, I don't play with innocents. I'm serious about the relationship. You're the only one who thought of it as a rebellious stunt for being sheltered."

She was about to cry once again but he knew how to stop that. Philip crushed her lips with his as his hands roamed her backside.

"We'll be a family, Maine. As soon as we go back to Northern Isles, I'm going to ask Max to marry you," he whispered in between his kisses.

After muttering a few promises, Philip gently guided Maine towards the four-poster bed while his lips rendered her mindless and blazing with fiery need.