Chapter Seven: Greene County

MAXIMILLIAN never shed a tear when his parents died on two separate occasions. He didn't even panic when the family business almost went bankrupt and didn't even flinch the Bismarck Group's demanding board of directors questioned his ability to salvage the company. Max even dared the good-for-nothing motherfuckers to liquidate the company's assets because he wanted nothing to do with them and their doubts regarding his competence. He didn't even falter when Maine was rushed into the E.R. before because of her asthma!

There are things in life that he had handled quite well, even the life-threatening ones. Maximillian was praised for being level-headed under pressure. He never shed a tear in his life since he became the man of the house.

Well, until Erin disappeared.

His heart clenched in his chest as he embraced Maine in his arms. His sister sobbed and clung to his shoulders for support, blaming him for letting her believe that Erin was schizophrenic.

Maximillian's head throbbed, his ears filled with loud ringing as if his head was about to explode.

Hyacinth told him about this before.

"One day, you will sense Erin's disappearance from your future with a throbbing headache and loud ringing in your ears. When that moment comes, I want you to be relieved."

He wanted to break something. Obviously, he's not relieved. He wanted to punch-oh, he wanted to kill someone!

The fury and rage rose inside him to an alarming level that his ribs contracted and burned. He struggled to breathe, gripping the corner of Erin's chair.

"Dad, I-I'm scared..."

Those were Erin's last words. And it shattered him into pieces, leaving him struggling to pick up the shards of himself that had scattered everywhere.

"Max, Erin's gone. She's gone for good, and I didn't believe her stories. I thought she was 'schizophrenic. Oh, I hate you for lying!"

Maximillian's jaw clenched. As if a short prologue, his mind showed him Erin's smile that resembles Maine's. Her laughter whenever she chokes on her pancakes. Her rebellious glare on him as he limited Maine's maximum credit for shopping.

Erin was stubborn, intelligent, and a hellion. A Bismarck, through and through. His daughter. His flesh and blood.

And she left a hollow in their hearts.

JEAN hid her cake under her desk and greeted the grumpy Maximillian Bismarck as he leaped towards his office with his earth-shattering strides.

"Good Morning-"

"Jean, follow me. Now!"

Jean practically jumped out of her swivel chair in shock and followed the furious man. When they entered the office, he removed his coat. "Contact Ms. Sinclair. Now. Tell her to come here."

"W-Why? Hyacinth said it is only for an emergency-"

"This is a fucking emergency! Call her, damn it!"

Jean searched her pocket and fished for her phone from there. "I will call Philip. He knows where she is."

"I need her address." Max paced back and forth, combing his unruly hair to the back of his head as if it could somehow tame his frustration.

"Max, I will not call her until you calm down. What did she do? Why are you so upset?"

"Erin's gone...and only she can bring Erin back," he said with a tormented voice.