Chapter Thirty-Three: Melancholy

TIME PASSED by in a blur.

More like, 'Time passed by like it's gonna run out of time itself' because before Hyacinth knew it, everyone was already celebrating Erin's 2nd birthday.

There were smiles on everyone's faces. There's laughter everywhere. The now fourteen-year-old Erin carried her younger self in her arms while Jean held her two-year-old baby boy named Andreus in her arms. The two babies chuckled and gripped each other's saliva-wet hands due to their excessive drooling.

But Hyacinth and Max found it very hard to fake a smile.

Today marks their last year together.

That also meant that in a matter of days or weeks, Hyacinth will disappear together with the teenager Erin.

Maximillian tried so hard to make Erin's birthday a memorable one. They invited only Jean, Andrei, and their baby boy. Philip Mayers, too, is present at the birthday party.

Everyone was having fun except the couple who only held hands and watched the people around them having a blast.

Hyacinth squeezed her husband's hands firmly in her palm. He looked over his shoulder to see her expression and she just smiled.

"Today's our daughter's birthday, Max. Next month is your birthday. Why are you so gloomy?"

He sighed. "Faking a smile isn't really my strong suit. Everyone knows me very well, especially you."

Hyacinth wrapped her arms around his waist so that she could press her chest against his back. "Of course, I know you very well, Max. We spent every day of the past two years together. I know you like the back of my hand."

"Then, you must know how my heart aches for you and Erin, love."

Hyacinth kissed his cheek. "Of course, Max. I know. It hurts you so much." A stray tear fell on his shoulder. "It hurts me, too, knowing that you'll spend a decade, maybe a lifetime, without me in it."

Maximillian turned to face his loving wife. As a doting husband and father, Max had tried to be the pillar of his family. Erin had always run to his side to seek advice whenever his angsty daughter got upset from the whole homeschool thing. For Hyacinth, Max is her go-to person— a shoulder to lean onto when motherhood felt so overwhelming and physically taxing, especially when she's dealing with a baby Erin and a teenager Erin at the same time. For the past two years, Max has been nothing but the epitome of affection and the foundation of the Bismarck family.

But the thing is that he never showed his vulnerable side to anyone. He acted tough for them...for his girls.

Well, Hyacinth is an exception.

At the end of the day, it is in her arms that Max found solace and the replenishment he needed to start the day with enough enthusiasm for everyone.

"Do you want me to listen? We can talk inside for a while—"

"No need, Haya. Today's a special day for Erin." He sighed as if he was letting out the heaviness off his chest. Hyacinth kissed her husband's shoulder, letting him feel that he was not alone in his sentiments...that she, too, is agitated.

.

.

PHILIP went outside of the Bismarck mansion to puff his cigarette. The red tip of the stick glowed as he sucked in the nicotine.

Today had been very stressful. Before he left his office, Ben Sinclair had requested a few minutes of his time. It took the old man almost two hours to tell him the entire history of Sinclairs. The thread-reading thing from a certain bloodline to the secrets of the threads.