Chapter Thirty-Eight: Letters

THE BOOKSTORE in Trudor Square always runs out of stock of popular books. Some bookworms marched outside the establishment with disappointment written all over their faces. Some teenagers scan the bookshelves, eager to find that book they saw on social media. Some businessmen search for travel books to pass the time. Some also search for discounts and bundles to save money.

But there's this certain woman who's currently scanning the books on the shelves and had been asking the staff if they have a book about fortune-telling or strings of fate or anything like those categories she mentioned.

To those who cared to notice, there's a man who's hovering over the clueless woman like a surveillance drone. But because he's skilled at following people or suspects, nobody noticed the odd behavior.

"I'll take care of this," Philip Mayers approached motioned for the staff to leave Maine Bismarck alone. The woman frowned at his sudden appearance.

"Before you complain," he raised his hands to elaborate his noble intentions. "I happened to know this old library that contains Sutton City archives. Maybe, you'll find some relevant information there?"

Maine gathered her arms to her chest and surveyed him with almost an analytical gaze. Was it analytical or judgmental?

"Oh, do explain why you're here?"

"I happened to live here."

"You can afford a house in Trudor Square?"

Philip Mayers hissed. He hated bragging but it seems like he has no choice but to tell her that he came from a family of politicians in the Western Isles and that he was blue-blooded and is running away from his obligation as the heir to an Earldom when his father kicks the bucket.

Or should he tell her that he's Viscount Lurthon of Western Isles?

But he can't just tell her those. She will be thoroughly confused as to why he, a future Earl in the Western Isles, decided to be a detective in a foreign country.

"I can afford the house through private commissions for finding important people. Go figure out the rest."

Maine lowered her hands to her sides, convinced by that lie. "Do you happen to be here by chance?"

By chance? If she meant walking around Trudor Square in the hopes of meeting a woman whom he kissed senseless months ago, then he happened to be here by chance.

"Yes, actually, I've been searching for a book for... travels."

He cursed in his thoughts for giving Maine that lie. Why did he think of travel books? He doesn't even travel!

She regarded him with a quizzical frown, the blue of her eyes gleaming with interest. "Good for you." She looked down at her wristwatch as she lifted the arm to her midriff. "I need to go back."

Before Maine could step away, Philip dragged the woman to the darkest, most secluded part of the bookstore.

"Where are you taking me?!" She struggled to be free from his grasp. When they reached the dark corner of the store, he finally released her."

What has gotten into him? He's not like this before. He's an officer, for crying out loud! He shouldn't do this to a civilian, especially to a woman.

"Sorry. I-I'm just..."

Maine pushed him away, her ears turning red with anger. "Are you crazy?!"

Maybe, he is.

Her lips are partially opened as she chased her breath like she just ran a marathon. Philip shook his head and tried to apologize but Maine's eyes traveled to his lips.