Chapter Thirty-Four: Lawton Penitentiary

MAINE followed behind Philip on her way inside the penitentiary. They're inside the building on their way to the warden's office. Philip Mayers has infinite connections, he had told her in the awkward enclosed space of his car. The detective told her stories about how Hyacinth made him influential by gathering valuable information from respectable people in politics and the judiciary system. Philip managed to climb the ranks by getting the necessary information he needed and acquiring the help of his higher-ups with extortion.

They went inside the office with classic white paint. In the center of the office lies a dark, wooden desk with piles of paperwork on top of it and the nameplate of the officer that faced the doorway.

There are wooden carvings everywhere—swordfishes that are carved and hand-painted were the main attraction of the room with its vivid colors. There are also pictures of the lake and framed certificates from aquatic life conferences and stuff like that underneath the fish displays.

Maine concluded that the warden loves to fish. Loves the lake. Loves anything that relates to the word "fish".

A bald, fifty-year-old something man went outside of the bathroom and regarded her with a friendly smile, then scowled when his gaze landed upon Philip. "What now, Mayers?"

"I need to speak to Sinclair."

The warden sighed. "You are a pain in the ass, Mayers. I can't just let you do whatever you want here."

Philip shrugged. "I'm merely using your mistake against you. If you haven't been screwing your superior's wife, then I won't have something to use for blackmail, right?"

The man's cheeks reddened in frustration.

Maine immediately went in between the two before Philip fully agitated the poor warden.

"Sir, I'm sorry for his behavior. I'm Maine Bismarck, the sister-in-law of Ben Sinclair's daughter, Hyacinth. I think you know the Bismarcks of Sutton City?"

The warden's eyes widened in shock, his jaw fell in utter surprise "That's why you looked familiar!" He immediately closed the space between them and offered his hand. "I'm Mr. Gary Lestrade, the warden here. I knew your brother personally and his wife. What a lovely pair they are."

Maine frowned. "Max and Hyacinth visited here?"

"Oh yes, Ms. Bismarck." The warden let go of her hand. "Mrs. Hyacinth Bismarck wanted an assurance that her father's meals are nutritious due to his high blood pressure and his failing health. They didn't even talk with the man."

"I see," Maine sighed. Hyacinth still loved her father regardless of Ben Sinclair's greediness towards Hyacinth's ability.

"Are you requesting a private conversation with the man, Miss?"

She nodded. "Yes, I am. May I talk to him? I would appreciate it if you'll allow me a few minutes alone with Ben Sinclair. I'll consider it a great debt and will repay you for this favor." Maine assessed the old man with a bright smile. "By any chance, do you happen to enjoy the idea of an all-expense paid trip to the Orient Continent? I heard that it's still summer in some places there. As you know, the Orient is the main source of fish exports in the countries of the United Seas."

The old man's eyes gleamed with excitement and delight. "Of course, Ms. Bismarck. You may have a few minutes with Ben Sinclair and..." He winked. "Thank you for the vacation."

Maine lifted her chin in satisfaction. "Good. Then, contact me with this email and specify the days you wanted to have the vacation. The company secretary, Mrs. Baden-Rodrguez, will personally assist you." She handed him her calling card and the man snatched it from her hand as if he was scared that she'll change her mind.