Chapter Five: Erin

Chapter Five: Erin

A full week passed by in a blur. Maine Bismarck fully recovered from the shock caused by last week's traumatizing near-death experience. Aside from countless journalists outside the building writing a detailed report of the building's entrance, now known as the miraculous landmark for blocking a truck, his days had been pretty hectic due to the building's repairs.

The security team showed Maximillian the CCTV footage of the last week's events and it sent chills to everyone's bones.

Ms. Sinclair leaped from the coffee shop and shoved people out of the way and pulled him and Maine inside the building. Mrs. Jean Baden-Rodriguez held Ms. Sinclair's arms and blabbered in confusion because of her friend's actions. It all occurred in under forty seconds and, after merely three seconds of Hyacinth Sinclair's successful mission of pulling the Bismarck siblings inside the building, a truck appeared in the footage and crashed on the revolving doors of the place, nearly hitting some passersby and Bismarck Group employees in the process. Good thing that Ms. Sinclair cleared the way and rendered most of the passersby clueless for a second, for the truck trailed the clear path that Ms. Sinclair paved. The camera recording stopped after the truck hit the revolving doors.

"Mr. Bismarck, how can the lady know that the truck is approaching? The coffee shop is a blind spot of the northbound lane from her perspective. There's no live CCTV in Moonround, too. How can she know—"

"I expect you to keep your mouth shut, Mr. Carson. You heard me?" His voice was tinted with danger. The press must not know of this, or they'll eat Hyacinth Sinclair alive.

The head of the security department nodded.

"No one will know about her, even the press. If the media bribes you, tell me their price and I will double it."

Maximillian massaged the bridge of his nose. He already saw irrefutable proof of Hyacinth's claims about her abilities but he still had a hard time believing it.

For Maximillian, everything feels fictional. Her abilities don't make sense. He spent the last week pondering on that.

Jean entered the office and smiled at him, approaching him as if she has some good news to share.

God. Damn. It.

"...A week after this day, she will have her check-up with Bismarck's company physician. Jean's condition will be sensitive, Sir. I ask you to give her fewer tasks."

"Let me guess it, Jean. You are pregnant?"

Jean's eyes widened. "How did you know, Max?!" She asked, baffled with glee.

How did he not know? After his conversation with Hyacinth, he returned to his office and watched his secretary closely. Jean always eats cake nowadays— especially tiramisu— and is always grumpy whenever he interferes with her snacks (even if it's not her break time).

"How did you know, Max? I just came from the doctor's clinic."

"It's obvious, Jean. You've been eating a lot of tiramisu cake lately and you tend to be grumpy when I disturb you. That has never occurred before."

Jean sighed and mumbled, "I wish I can tell Hyacinth the good news."

Maximillian looked down at his desk. After informing Jean last week that Hyacinth will be "going away indefinitely" and relaying the message that Hyacinth has asked him to relay, Jean's spirits immediately crashed. She often complains about Hyacinth's disappearance to her husband, Andrei Rodriguez while Max happened to be passing by.

Jean continued her tirade. "She didn't even instruct me what I should do with her cousin Erin. That woman has the nerve to—"

"What did you say, Jean?" Maximillian stood up when he heard the name.