Chapter Eleven: Smitten

MAINE sobbed and welcomed Erin in an affectionate embrace. Max rubbed Maine's back and told her that Erin will stay. This time, Erin will not disappear.

Hyacinth whispered, "They're quite close, aren't they? Your sister and Erin."

"They're like soul sisters now."

Hyacinth smiled and rubbed her stomach. "At least I will be assured that Erin will grow up with people who will love and protect her. I never had that."

"Erin will need you, Hyacinth. She needed you beside her. Why don't you live here? My house has many rooms."

"That will be suicide. A thread reader and a time traveler? What a fine team we would make."

Max pulled his hand from his pocket to point at himself. "I have connections, Haya. I have influence and power within this city. Do you think I will let anyone harm my family?"

"Erin is your family. I am not." Hyacinth smiled. "Take care of her. I'll go back to my old condominium here in Sutton."

"Mom? I want you to meet Auntie Maine. She loved me as her own daughter and became my playmate."

Hyacinth offered her hand. "Hyacinth Sinclair. Nice to meet you, Maine."

Maine's jaw dropped. "You're Erin's Mom? That means you and Max..."

Hyacinth blushed. "No, Max and I aren't together. I mean we...you know—"

"I know." Maine smiled in an attempt to ease Hyacinth's sudden discomfort. "There's no need for explanation."

Hyacinth thanked Maine with a nod. "Well, then. I will leave now. Erin knows how to reach me."

Erin reached for Hyacinth's hand. "Mom, can't you live here? There are plenty of rooms here."

"No, honey. I need to leave now. Philip and I are going to SCPD. That's my side hustle."

Erin nodded. "I remembered. Dad told me that you used to interrogate suspects in SCPD with your thread-reading abilities."

Hyacinth smiled. "I helped them gather pieces of evidence by thread reading."

Maine gasped. "Can you read my thread? Please?"

Upon looking at Erin and Maine, Hyacinth realized that they looked like twins with their vibrant blue eyes and the same thick brows and pointed nose. Is only contrast between the two is their hair color. Erin has light brown while Maine's is ebony, almost the darkness of the night.

Hyacinth nodded, not even surprised by Maine knowing the Sinclair bloodline's secret. The young woman casually asked her to read the future like how she would ask an artist to paint a flower or something.

She gave in to the request. "What do you want to know?"

Maine's eyes sparkled with excitement. "I wanted to know if I'm going to marry in the future. What is his name? Is he handsome? An independent man?"

Erin cleared her throat and Max loosened his tie, suddenly looking at the potted plant nearby his front door with keen interest.

Hyacinth cleared her throat. "I'm sorry, Maine, but that's not possible. I can't tell you that or I will risk your fate being altered."

Maine's shoulders dropped. "But is he handsome?"

Hyacinth smiled. "Yes. He's also kind and trustworthy. Erin saw him in the future. Right, Erin?"

Erin nodded. "That's right."

Maine sighed dreamily. "That's everything I need to know."

Hyacinth chuckled nervously. "I will go now. Thank you for taking care of Erin."