11

The Queen Alicent was making her way towards her youngest son's chambers. Her hands felt clammy as did her heart, in apprehension of the betrayal she felt she was making towards the Princess Rhaenyra and her daughter. She opened the door to her son's chamber with a heavy heart. She faced with her son immediately, as he writing at a large wooded desk in the centre of the room.

"Mother, do tell me, you and grandfather were in the counsilroom all morning." Spoke Aemond as he looked up from his writings.

"Indeed we were." Sighted Alicent as sadness overtook her features. "Your grandfather has informed you of your father's passing, and..."

"Aegon will be king now, and Heleana Queen." Finished Aemond before looking back at his papers. "We shall make the Strong boys and their mother bend the knees."

"Then what about Aemma?" Spoke Alicent with haste in her voice. "Do you wish to marry her still?" Questioned the Queen, her task felt heavy on heart. "I never wished to do so." Spoke Aemond. "Yet performing my duty warms my heart Mother." He stood up from his chair and laid his paper on the table. "Having Aemma by my side will make Rhaenyra seem weak, her only daughter will be married to the King, his brother. Aemma will prove usefull to us yet.

"You play at court too well." Whispered Alicent as she stared at her son in sorrow. "What do you think will be the key Aemond?"

"I shall have to marry Aemma as soon as is seen fit, although fit does not seem the proper word to use. I'll have to-"

"It will have to be done officially Aemond you know that as much as I do, we can't haste this." Alicent felt the venom in her words prickle her tongue, knowing her son's their lifes could depend on wether Aegon was to be crowned or not.

"Although there do are solutions to such problems, rumors can always hasten a betrothal." Alicent glanced at her son with pained eyes, his posture seemed official, no emotion could be read off of his face.

"Queen Mother, might I wish to, yet Aemma's feelings or worries do not cloud my judgement for all needs to be done to not let Rhaenyra ever come close to claiming the throne. It belongs in our hands, we need every stake."

"Perhaps you must force that claim prince,
for only then will she be ours."

"I cannot wish to, but duty calls, does it not?"

Aemond sighted and walked towards his Mother, he reached out to touch her arm. "I will not stir bigger events than you and grandfather wish me to, although I will put my duty towards this family above my honor towards my betrothed."

"Good, good." Spoke Queen Alicent, her eyes glossy.

————-

Princess Aemma had been pacing her room all morrow, she had been bathed dressed and refused to eat, she had overturned her mother's letter a million times. Princess Rhaenyra would return on Dragonback soon, she would stay at the castle to tend to her father The King, and then leave for Dragonstone accompanied by her daughter The Princess Aemma Velaryon. Yet no date or time had been stated as to when Aemma could expect her mother to return home.

Aemma had been locked in her room, guards outside her room had refused her leave and Aemma had only few suspicions as to what could have happened for her to be confined.

She kept shifting her weight from her left to her right foot while softly humming a song her father had taught her, she had fond memories of him in het childhood. Her father had been absent a lot, but he had always shown her and her brothers hands full of love whenever he was around. Her heart ached at the reminder of his death. She remembered all too well as she cried in her grandmothers Rhaenys's arms when she learned of his death.