Chapter 26

Ethan's POV

"Ok, class, I want this paper done by the time you get back from vacation." Mr.Collins droned on. I rolled my eyes and looked at Toby. She seemed into what Mr.Collins was saying, surprisingly. She looked at me and smiled. I shook my head as a song played on the speakers. I grabbed my books and hurried out of class. Toby was already on her way to gym. I stopped her and pinned her on the wall.

"Ethan, I have to get to class." she begged.

"So do I, I'm going to the same place you are." I said as Jason came up and grabbed my collar.

"No PDA in the hallway." he said as he tried to drag me to gym. I kissed Toby before I turned the corner. "We got try-outs this afternoon." He said as we walked into the the locker room.

"I know." I said pulling my shirt over my head.

"Coach was happy to hear you are trying out."

"I'm so nervous."

"Don't be, you are awesome." Jason said punching my arm.

"That was just a class review game." I said still unsure of myself.

"And you made every shot." Jason said closing his locker and sitting on the bench.

"The line was only 4 feet away from the net."

"So, you will be fine. Trust me." Jason said tying his shoes.

"I guess that's all I can do." I said walking out to the gym floor.

"Class we are going to play volleyball today." Coach Penny clapped her hands. There are two classes for gym every period, Coach Penny and Coach Cameron.

"Ugh." Toby said from the top bleacher. Coach Penny separated us into groups, Jason and I on one team and Toby on the other.

"You're going down, cupcake." Jason said to Toby. She rolled her eyes and gave us the finger. Coach tossed the ball in and Toby's team was the first to reach for it, their serve. A girl served the ball and it flew over their heads. Toby jumped and spiked the ball onto our side.

"So that's how you wanna play." I said to her teaming up with Jason.

"1 to 0." the server called out as she threw the ball. Another boy hit it over the net and I hit it up in the air while Jason spiked it back onto their side, our serve.

"1 to 1." I called as I served. I threw the ball and Toby lunged for it, but didn't hit it. The ball landed on the floor with a thud. "2 to 1." I said as I tossed it in the air. And again, the team missed the ball. It went on like this until we were up 5 to 1.

"1 to 5." Toby said as she served the ball. It went up and over the net. Jason hit it back over and Toby slid to hit back over. I hit it and a shorter boy hit it back. Jason spiked it and Toby threw it back. Jason tossed and I hit it over, Toby couldn't get there fast enough; it landed next to the short boy.

******

"Time!" Coach called. "Jason's team wins, 23 to 17." She took the ball and sent us to the locker rooms.

"Man, Toby can play." Jason said as he took a towel under a sink to cool off.

"Yeah, I didn't even know she could." I said putting on my other shirt.

"Hey, uh, Ethan. Right?" asked a blonde kid. Maybe a Senior.

"Yeah?" I asked as Jason walked into the aisle with an eyebrow cocked.

"You know Toby Jasper?" the boy continued.

"Sure, I know her." I would have told him she was my girlfriend, but I wanted to see how far he would go with this conversation.