Chapter 39

Ethan's POV

I woke up just as normal. I hit my alarm clock and rubbed my face. I hated getting up, but then I remembered seeing Toby's face and I got a little more motivation to get up.

"Happy Birthday!" Sophie said as she ran from the door and pounced on my bed.

"Thanks." I said yawning.

"You can't be tired on your birthday." she scolded as she pulled my arm to get up. I followed her downstairs to see Kate holding a "cake" made of waffles.

"Happy Birthday, Ethan." she smiled.

"Thanks." I said as I sat down and drank some orange juice. She put the waffles on the table and I pulled off 3. I put some strawberries and whipped cream on them. My father then came in and sat down, without a word to me.

"Harry, don't you have something to say to Ethan?" Kate asked with little demand in her voice.

"Ah, yes. Ethan, there is a birthday gift for you in the living room." he said reading the paper. I looked at the both of them and then ran into the room. There, with a neat little bow on top, was two new luggage carriers.

"Are you kidding?" I asked when I came back into the kitchen.

"Well, you're going to need something when you go to England." My father said.

"Thank you so much!" I went up into my room to get ready for school.

*******

"Happy birthday, baby!" Toby said as I walked into school. She threw her arms around me and kissed my cheek.

"Thank you." I said kissing her. Jason came up and slapped me on the back.

"17, dude you're getting old." he laughed.

"No kidding." I said as I punched his arm.

"You going to the party Saturday?"

"Yup, with Toby." I said as I looked at her. She seemed to be hiding a secret, but I didn't ask.

"Well, I catch you later." he said as he hurried off.

"I asked Liv to come with us." Toby said as she pushed a purple lock behind her ear.

"That's cool, but what about Jason?"

"Too bad. Show 'em what he lost." she said commandingly.

"Ok, I'll see you at lunch." I said as I tapped her nose. She rolled her eyes and went to homeroom.

*****

"Here." Toby said as she placed a gift bag onto the table.

"I didn't ask for anything." I said I pulled the tissue paper out.

"I know and that's what made this so hard to do." She said as she sat back in her seat. I pulled out a bag of Cadbury Buttons. They were my favorite candy from England.

"How'd you know I like these?" I asked as I tore open the bag.

"I have my ways."

"Well, I love this." I said as I fed her a chocolate button. We were sitting there laughing and sharing my birthday gift when Ashley walked up.

"Happy birthday." she said in a fake cheery voice. "Are you coming to the party at Dan's?" she asked getting to the point.

"Uh, yeah." I said as I threw a button at Jason, but still looking at her.

"Oh good. Well, I have your birthday surprise there." she said glaring at Toby. I watched as Toby turned pale and shrunk back in her seat.

"Thanks?"

"Ok, I have to be honest, it's not really a birthday surprise, but it is a good surprise." I didn't like the way she said "good". "Toby can tell you all about it, I'm sure she has some ideas about it." she smiled.

"Just go, Ash." Jason said. Her smiled deflated.

"I'm not gray and flaky so don't call me ash." she said whipping her hair off and sauntering away. Toby was now biting her lip. I put my hand on her shoulder and she jumped. She looked at me with tear filled eyes and ran away.

"Toby!" I called and I saw Ashley smile in victory. I gave her the finger and she look appalled. I ran after Toby. I heard whimpers in the girls bathroom and knew it was Toby. She always cried so softly.

"Toby." I said as I pushed open the door. She was huddled in the corner hugging her sides. She look terrified.

"I-I" she looked up at me.

"Shhh. It's ok." I said as I went to touch her, but she scampered away like a frightened animal.

"I n-need t-to," she trailed off.

"What?" I asked sitting down on the other side of the bathroom.

"L-let it o-o-out." she let out before she cried and started gasping for air. I again went to reach for her. "No, i-if you s-stop m-me," she tried to get out. "I-I w-will k-keep-p h-holding it i-in." she said as she choked on tears. She began gasping and convulsing. This is the worst I've ever seen her. When she began to bite herself, I went over to her and held her in my arms. She tried to free herself, but I kept my arms around her and eventually she stopped struggling. I felt her lay her head on my chest as she calmed. Her breathing went back to normal and I kissed her head. I felt my shirt begin to dampen with the wetness of her tears.

"I just couldn't take it anymore. She keeps pushing and life keeps adding things to my already high pile."

"I know." I said as I gently rocked her.

"Ethan, don't ever leave me." she said quietly as she wrapped her arms around my middle and squeezed.

"I wouldn't dream of it." I said as I buried my head in the crook of her neck.

"I love you too much for my own good."

"And for my own good, I love you too much."

********

===================================================================Ah, finally the release Toby has been needing. Sorry I haven't updated in so long. I can't wait to write the next few chapters. When should their prom be, I'm thinking somewhere in May? Maybe June. Short author's note. I don't really have anything to tell you guys this update. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, bye! ILYSM!

-JMAC xoxo