Chapter 17

I knocked at his door and waited for him. Okay Peyton, think, what will you say to him ? Do you apologize for last night or do you tell him it was a joke ? Oh god, why is it so difficult to talk to him ?

I was about to go home when I heard footsteps. I waited a bit and the door opened, revealing Jacob.

"Hey" I whispered.

"God, where were you ? I was so worried." he said and took me in his arms. I put my head on his chest, I didn't want to move, it felt perfect, like I was in the right place. He was my safe pace, he just didn't know it yet.

"I was at Mary's, I'm sorry I needed to think"

"It's okay I'm not mad. Now come in, I think we have a lot to talk about."

He led me inside to his living room and we sat on the couch.

"Peyton talk to me, please. We can't go on like this, it's not healthy for you or for me."

"I can't, it will mean I have to open up to you and last time I did that we got into an argument and I don't want to go through that again"

"Listen to me okay, nothing on this planet can make me mad at you. You have to trust me, I'm not someone who'll hurt you."

"But you did"

"I know and I can't tell you enough how I'm sorry but I promise you I'll be careful, because after that night I saw how much it hurt you"

"I'm sorry I didn't let you talk, it's just I knew what you were going to say and I wanted to make it quicker and less hurtful"

"And how were you supposed to know how I feel ?"

"Because it seems pretty obvious to me. You abandoned me so I think it's clear you don't want to have anything to do with me."

"Well you're wrong"

"Really ? Then tell me how you feel."

"Okay but first I have a question for you"

"Go on"

"Do you know why I abandoned you ?"

"No, why ?"

"Because I wanted to make sur how I felt too. I wanted to make sure I'll take the right decision because I didn't want to hurt you just like I don't want to hurt you now."

"And how do you feel ?"

"I feel like I'm in front of the most beautiful girl in the world, that I want to slap me for hurting her and that I love her so much every time I see her, my breath stops and my eyes can't look in  another direction because she's the only thing I can see, she illuminates the room and the sun is nothing compared to her smile. Her eyes remind me of the forest and are the most beautiful things I've ever seen in this world. I can get lost for hours by just looking at them and I love the spark they have when she starts to talk about something she loves." 

Wow, it was the sweetest thing a guy has ever told me. I never thought someone could feel like that for me, I mean I'm just, me. Nothing weird. I'm not like all those models with perfect bodies, I am, normal.

"I'm sure she feels honored"

"I hope so, words aren't enough to describe her"

"I wonder who that lucky girl is" I said with a little smile.

"I think you know" he smiled in return.

"Maybe, but let's say she's in front of you, what would you tell her ?"

"First I will tell her that I love her and then maybe, if she's okay with it, I will kiss her"

"And what would you want her to tell you ?"

"That she loves me too and that she agrees to be my girlfriend"

"I think she's okay with it"

"Oh really ? Does it mean I can kiss her ?"

"Of course"

He put his hand on my cheek and approached my face. We looked into each other eyes until it wasn't possible to hold on anymore. Our lips touched and started to move in sync. He tasted like watermelon. His tongue asked for permission to go in my mouth so I opened it and our tongues played together. It was the best kiss I have ever had, it was sweet and passionate at the same time. We kissed until there wasn't any air left and finally broke the kiss. We breathed loudly and looked at each other before smiling.

"I love you Peyton Roi List, I love you with all my heart"

That was it, the three words I wanted him to tell me. I love you. I have waited for months for this simple sentence, risked to ruin our friendship for the simple touch of his lips on mine. I felt complete.

"I love you too Jacob Bertrand"