Thirteen. I Miss You

Chapter Song- I Miss You by Adele

Avery-

It's been a week since Harry put me on a plane back to North Carolina and he flew to the opposite coast and we haven't spoken a single time. No phone call and no texts. I know he's probably busy wrapping up loose ends, but I am a little hurt that he hasn't taken a second to text me at least. I miss him. I don't want to.

I've been busy wrapping up my loose ends and making sure the store is going to be well taken care of. After some thought I'm reducing the days that the store is open. I'm not happy with this decision, but I don't want to impose my endless work schedule on the people I've lined up to take care of things while I'm gone. Just because I've not had much of a life these past two years doesn't mean others don't.

Ace has been pestering me about dinner since I got back from New York and I'm finally going to have dinner with him tonight. Things have been a little off since his admission of seeing Sam in Nashville. He almost sounded sympathetic about it and I wonder how he'd react if he knew the full story of Sam and I. I wonder if he'd think Sam deserved an ounce of sympathy then.

Sam and I began like any other couple and we met at a party that Ace was giving. It was Ace's way of introducing his new roommate to his friends. Ace has always been fairly protective of me and it surprised me when he seemed to encourage the flirting that went on that first night I met Sam.

Sam was everything that I wasn't; outgoing, confident, effortlessly gorgeous. I was shocked when he approached me first.

That first night of Ace's party led to Sam being around anytime I'd go to visit Ace. Sam and I talked about what book he'd catch me reading or music and we found a common passion in music and writing. Once I went over and while Ace was making me wait once again for him to finish getting dressed Sam was there on the couch with his acoustic guitar strumming along and he said he was stuck on a lyric and asked for help. I took one look at what he had and the words began to almost write themselves. That was our first song we wrote together.

It took Sam a whole month to work up the nerve to ask Ace if he could ask me out. One date turned to two and that turned to a full blown relationship. In the beginning there were many happy times.

About eight months in I thought I'd surprise Sam one day when I finished early with the job I had back then and I surprised him at the apartment. When a blonde who was adjusting her shirt came out of the bathroom as I was standing in the kitchen I foolishly allowed Sam to explain how it meant nothing to him and that it was a lapse of judgment. I should have known then.

12 months in is when he hit me the first time. We'd been out celebrating Ace getting hired to work with a big name talent as a session musician and I told Sam I was ready to leave the bar we were at because I had work the next day. When he refused I left and called an Uber to take me home. He stormed outside the bar and an argument ensued and he slapped me.

Immediately apologizing and sobbing afterwards he told me he'd never do that again and I wanted so badly to believe him. He ended up putting me in the Uber alone and when he came home at 4 am he smelled of alcohol and Womens perfume. I'm sure he cheated on me that night too.

I loved him and made every excuse in the book for him and the joke was on me when he walked out of the door leaving me alone in the apartment we'd shared for the past year. I'm sure his current girlfriend is the one he was seeing at the end of our relationship.

Ace would disown him if he knew everything, but I am not a vengeful kind of person so I've kept it to myself, allowing he and Sam to remain friends. Sam doesn't however have the right to ask how I am or any personal details about me. He lost that right a long time ago.