Chapter 29

Charles led Fiona through the doorway and into his spacious living room. She had always liked it here, even though everything about his flat was typically decorated like a guys living space. Sparely.

The room was surrounded by floor to ceiling windows on three sides. One of which led to a rooftop balcony - her favorite place here.

Normally, all these big windows would allow for the sun to illuminate the room in a really beautiful way, but tonight, even though it was still fairly bright outside, the room wasn't lit by sunlight.

All of the blinds were shut and the only thing bringing light to the room were dozens of candles.
If she thought the lightning in the room was beautiful before, it certainly was nothing compared to this.

The sight in front of her was the purest reflection of a romantic setting .

Charles also took all the comforters from his couch and arranged them in front of his Tv, together with a bunch of blankets and pillows. Creating a comfortable seating place, no cuddling place actually, out o fit.

A bottle of wine and a bowl with popcorn were also placed on the floor.

So much for not going all out, she wasn't mad about it though.

„You shouldn't have," she whispered back. Still taking in the sight in front of her.

„Yes, I should have," he replied firmly. „I know that your head was spinning before coming over and I know that I've got to put in the work to keep you by my side. Either way, you deserve the romantic treatment, so you better get used to it."

Charles winked at her sheepishly and Fiona visibly relaxed in his presence. She was surprised and shy about it and she appreciated the gesture so much. She had been so worried about them taking the next step but Charles, as he always did, took away all of her worries and doubts so effortlessly.

This is going to work, she told herself. Her gut was telling her that. Now she just had to make her head listen to her heart.

She put her hand in Charles outreached one and let him guide her to the blankets on the floor.

They sat down on them and Charles opened his arms for her, inviting her to make herself comfortable in his them but Fiona hesitated.

It had suddenly dawned on her, that there was still on hurdle the two of the had to take and she was definitely not looking forward to that conversation.

It's not like she didn't know before, that they had to have this conversation. It had just bin shoved to the back of her mind for a minute there.

She knew it had to be done, it was on her mind ever since she came home from Baku.

Of course it would've made things easier if she had already told the man next to her what happened when they were talking that night in Italy but Fiona owed it to Pierre. To talk to him first, in case that he wasn't just playing the game.

Also, Charles had already been a little bit jealous of Pierre before, when she went with him to the Amber Lounge Gala in Monaco. She didn't want to steer anything up before she had the confirmation and was able to reassure Charles that Pierre did in fact not have any feelings for her.

Knowing Charles he wasn't going to take this easy but at least now he wouldn't get full on mad at Pierre.
Well, at least that was what she hoped for.

Men worked weird in that way when in came to „their territory" and Charles wasn't going to be any different. He was already quite protective of her. He always was, ever since they were kids. He wasn't fond of her being with Ben and any guy she had kissed or simply been with for that matter.
Pierre being Pierre wouldn't make a difference in that regard. If anything, it would make it worse.