Chapter 26

„When will you be back in Monaco?"

Fiona took a sip from the coffee in front of her before she answered him. „My flight will arrive in Nice at 9:30 am on Monday."

„Want me to pick you up from the airport?" he asked through the phone.

„Don't you want to sleep in after the race on Sunday? You'll be exhausted."

„Nah it's fine. Flying home from Belgium wont take that long. I'll be back in Monaco at 11 pm the latest. So it's fine. Besides, I really want to do it. Picking you up means I get to see you earlier. I can always take a nap later on. I'm free the whole day. Unless you want to join me for one of our Netflix nights? Of course, only if you really want to. I was thinking about asking you on a proper date, but I thought that might be too fast for you. So I figured we could do something that we always did. Before I mean. Not that I don't want to take you out. I do. I really do. It's just, I don't want to mess up you know."

„Charles."

„Huh?"

„Stop rambling."

Fiona smiled. While his rambling was really adorable, she didn't want him to think too much about it all. She wanted him to be like himself and believed that returning back to normality would be the best way for them to move forward. Alright, maybe a little bit different than before, since they would be moving towards being more than friends.
Of course, she would be a little bit cautions for now but deep down she knew who he was and she needed him to be like that, for everything to be completely fine again.

„I'm sorry."

„It's absolutely fine. I'll tell you if anything is going to fast for me. You just be yourself. Don't stress about it too much. You can pick me up from the airport, if that's what you want to do. In fact, I would like that, too. Movie night is also perfectly fine. We'll both be comfortable with it, you can rest and recharge after Sunday and it'll get us back to a good place. Maybe we can go out later in the week?"

„Absolutely," he responded immediately upon her suggestion, sounding much less nervous and way more excited now.

„When do you have to get to your next meeting?"

„Fifteen minutes I think. It's an interview for an Italian newspaper. We can still talk for another minute though. I miss you, Fi."

She laughed. „It's only been a few days."

„So?" he questioned. „Am I not allowed to miss you? Besides, I haven't seen enough of you for over two months before that."

He was right. But that's not something she wanted to think about right now. She desperately wanted to put what had happened behind them.

„I miss you, too."

She did. Even if it was only a few days, she still missed him. She always missed him when he wasn't around. It was like her body was drawn to his and every time they separated, it felt like something was missing.

She only ever felt totally complete with him around.

„See, it's totally fine for me to miss you, even if it were only a few hours I'd still miss you."

„You're starting to get quite soppy, aren't you?"

„I'm just catching up on everything I missed out over the years. Don't try to tell me you don't love it. I just know your cheeks are going to be on fire right now."

Just like she knew he was smirking on the other end of the line.

„Touché."

There was nothing else to add, they both knew he was right.
She really did love his flirtatious side and hearing all those cute things he was saying lately. Even if they were soppy as hell. She couldn't care less about that. Right now, she was happy and she was enjoying it and she was definitely a sucker for his cheeky side.