Chapter 18 The Oracle 2020

They spent the next several hours in the cave.
Barbra explained that she was now the Oracle and Lyla explored the much upgraded holo table. Apparently Tim was good with tech so between him and Barbra all of their gear had been upgraded. Barbra loaded Lyla up with new gadgets and some upgraded communication equipment.
Lyla didn't really want to take it but Barbra insisted she'd be the only other person listening, so she took it.
By the time they where done it was nearly 2 A.M. and Lyla could feel the weight of the long day. She excused herself and headed upstairs.

Once the elevator slid open, muscle memory took over. Seconds later she found herself standing in the doorway to Jason's room.
Nothing had changed.
The sheets where still wrinkled from her last night in here.
But she noticed it wasn't dusty, and it didn't smell stale like it should have, it still smelled like the candle from the dresser.
Alfred had maintained it but not changed it.
He kept it for this day.
Lyla slid out of her suit and reached for the clothes from her duffel bag.
She stopped suddenly, remembering the nights wrapped in him, in his clothes. She walked to the dresser to find it still full of his clothes. She pulled into a tee shirt and black sweat pants. They didn't fit quite as loose as they used to.
Lyla was still thin but she was a bit taller and had noticeable muscle on her arms and legs now.

She crawled into the too big bed and pulled the duvet up to her chin. Tears ran down her face as she breathed in to find his scent missing.
Lyla slept better that night than she had since he'd cuddled into her all those months ago.