Chapter 25 The secrets we share. 2022

Connor told her it would be few hour back to the main land.
They sat on the floor of Bio-ship, Jason's head in Lylas lap. Jason had started stirring and making noise the moment they left the island.
Lyla told Connor every detail of the evening as he stitched up Jason stab wound.

        " Should I have Bio-ship put us down at the manor?" Connor asked.

        " No!" Lyla snapped. "Sorry, I don't want to take him back yet. There is a cabin about 10 miles west of Gotham. We'll be safe there."

        " Alright."

        " And Connor." Lyla nearly begged " don't tell anyone yet. If they ask we didn't find anything and I decided to lay low for a while."

         " I..." Connor hesitated.

        " Kon please." Lyla pleaded.

        " Yeah alright."

        " Thank you."

        " You're gonna have to tell Roy though. He'll see right through that bullshit."

        Lyla chuckled, still running her fingers through Jason's hair. " Yeah I know."

    The cabin belonged to Alfred and as far as she knew Lyla was the only other one who knew about it.
Alfred had brought her here one weekend after her and Bruce had gotten into an argument. He usually lived at the manor but this place was his, he owned it, called it his safety. Connor carried Jason now as Lyla eyed to key pad.
There where letters instead of numbers. Lyla wracked her brain for the answer.

" I could just break the door down." Connor offered.

    " No this is Alfred's place please don't break it."

She decided to guess. The lock clicked open. In one to many heart to hearts, she had learned Alfred's favorite word was uniqueness.
She motioned for Connor to follow her in.
She led them in the small house pulling the door to the spare room open. Connor laid Jason on the mattress and Lyla sat by his feet.

        " I should go." Connor said softly.

        " Okay," Lyla nodded. She tilted her head towards Jason " our secret."

        " Yeah."

        " Just for now."

        " Be careful Lyla. Call me if you need anything."

        " My phone was on the boat."

        " Right."

        " Thank you Connor."

        " Take care of him."

        " Of course." And just like that Connor was gone.

Lyla sat against the headboard next to Jason and tears started to flow as she stared at his face. He looked peaceful, safe, and sound asleep. He moaned and shuffled around.

                " Shhh," Lyla consoled " you're safe now. I promise, we'll stick together this time.
                       I'll look out for you."