Chapter 25 : The Great Fog of Backlund

3rd point of view :

Seeing that it was still early, Klein took a horse carriage to the Quelaag Club, intending to spend the afternoon there.

As soon as he entered the hall, he saw the equestrian teacher, Talim Dumont.

This descendant of blue-blood was seated in a corner, holding a glass of scarlet grape wine. His face was rosy, and he was sipping it in high spirits.

« You seem to be in a good mood, Talim. »

Klein smiled and greeted him.

Talim chuckled and said :

« Because the new year is coming. »

Then, rather excitedly, he asked :

« Sherlock, do you know what it's like to really like someone ? »

« ... » Klein showed a fake smile.

« I'm sorry, I'm still single. »

Talim finished the rest of his wine, stood up, waved his hand, and said :

« That's a pity. Well, I have to get busy. »

« By the way, thank you for introducing Mr. Framis Cage. » Klein recalled the investment of the bike project and sincerely expressed his gratitude.

« When are you free these days? I'd like to get you to bring me around to sample some of Backlund's delicacies. »

« After the new year. » Talim put on his hat and walked with a smile to the reception hall.

Has this fellow entered the season of love? Klein couldn't help but mutter.

Just as he turned around and took a few steps, he suddenly heard a heavy thud.

Klein jerked his head back and saw Talim Dumont on the ground, his left hand clamped tightly at his chest where his heart was. His body was convulsing nonstop.

This... Klein hurried over.

But at this moment, Talim had already spat out all of the white foam on his mouth, losing his last breath of life.

In just a few seconds, he had turned into a dead corpse.

This wasn't the first time Klein had seen someone familiar die in front of him, but it was the most abrupt and unforeseen death. The expression on Talim Dumont's face when he had asked about what it felt to really like someone was a vivid expression of hidden excitement and flaunting, but one which couldn't be directly shared due to the need of being careful as a result of certain factors.

That was too fast... Normal diseases do not cause death so quickly ! Klein's expression was solemn as he lightly tapped his molars to activate his Spirit Vision.

He dropped to one knee and crouched down. He saw Talim Dumont's aura and the colors of his emotions fading rapidly.

Furthermore, there were strands of black gas wrapped around his heart like a snake which were gradually dimming.

A Beyonder ability similar to a curse? Klein instantly made a preliminary conclusion.

At this moment, a nearby red-vested attendant and a servant girl in a black-and-white dress ran over. They looked at the dead body on the ground in horror—his eyes were wide and round, and the corners of his mouth still had remnant white foam.

Klein closed his eyes and instructed in a deep voice :

« Go to the nearby police station and tell them someone died here. »