26: Serpents Always Watching

While the far-from-intrepid heroes were making their half baked plans, things weren't going all that smoothly in Salem's camp either.

And by camp, you'd really mean big, ugly, zeppelin, whale-shaped Grimm. [Still don't know why Penny didn't end up jumping down this thing's mouth as a Pinocchio reference.]

Emerald Sustrai was sitting around it, trying not to touch any of its disgusting body parts from the inside, while Mercury Black was boxing with himself.

Nothing had changed here since they'd arrived late last night, other than Tyrian had found his way back at some point--they avoided him.

Then something moved.

Hazel appeared in the...doorway? Emerald wasn't really sure what to call the openings in this thing. Valves? Arteries? Death tunnels?

"Someone just came in," he said. "Not sure who. She'll want us ready."

He meant Salem.

Mercury straightened and shrugged.

Emerald got up, and they followed Hazel down the hallways.

One of the Seers drifted past them but didn't take any notice of them.

Emerald had never voiced this to anyone, but the fact that the Grimm around them ignored them now, though by nature they were drawn to attack all humans, made her feel almost like she was one of them.

Sometimes she had nightmares that she was.

But it was no good to say that to the others... Anyway, who would care?

She told herself it was just because Salem was controlling it. The Grimm still hated them, of course, but they obeyed Salem. They liked her.

That was almost the worst part. They didn't fear her, they acted like they adored her...and Grimm didn't adore anyone.

Emerald had to swallow these thoughts as they came into the sort of courtroom Salem had constructed in the middle of this Zeppelin.

"You certainly do enjoy collecting assets." They could hear Salem speaking in that creepy, crooning tone.

To their surprised, and Emerald's relief, the people who'd come in were not Watts, but Cinder!...and Neo? What was Neo doing here? Wearing Torchwick's hat? Didn't that guy die...? Oh, she probably needed a new job.

And she joined them? 

Why? was Emerald's second thought after her initial happy reaction.

"Cinder!" She started to rush forward, oblivious to what was just being talked about.

Hazel and Mercury watched, probably both silently thinking that Emerald really didn't get it.

"You're here! I knew you'd come--" Emerald continued.

"Quiet!" Cinder cut her off without so much as a glance at her.

Emerald stopped short.

After all this time? That was her response? What...?

But maybe she was just stressed... Salem could be pretty intimidating... Right, and Emerald was making a scene in front of her...not the smartest idea.

Tyrian crooned. "Hmm, so devoted to someone so incompetent." [It really says a lot when even the homicidal maniac and the two-bit inventor both show equal amounts of contempt for Cinder. Though she and Tyrian are pretty similar, so I guess there's just no honor among thieves.]