13. Feelings ^

Breathe in and out repeat. Remember you can not let it show. I sat on the cold floor still trying to recollect myself after yesterday's frightful event. When we arrived home my mother had explained to us how the fire was intentionally started.

But she refused to elaborate anymore. It was for my safety. I hated being left in the dark about things. It mostly worried me that I did not know things that would affect my future.

I am worried about what awaits me after graduating from Hogwarts. Most importantly what does my father have planned for me? I wish I could...just run away but I know I could never bring myself to do so. I guess my father is right about my lack of courage and determination.

I will probably end up married to some pure-blooded snob who thinks the world revolves around him. Someone like Barty Crouch Jr or Evan Rosier. My mother would try and resist this but in the end, my father always had the final word and neither of us could do or say anything.

I thought that maybe fake dating James would allow me to somehow make him realize he loves me enough to fight for us but, that was an idea I had been deluding myself with. He still loves Lily, maybe even more than before.

I noticed how he looked at her as she talked and laughed. His eyes had a certain twinkle to them and he smiled like he was the luckiest person alive to be in her presence. How his hands held hers in danger. Now that I look at it I never stood a chance against Lily Evans when it came to James Potter's heart.

"Adeline are you in there?" I heard a faint voice say from the other side of the closed door.

"Yes, come in Remus." I had asked him to stay over since it had already been late lucky he agreed.

Both my parents had left this morning for work but before leaving my mother allowed him to stay longer if he wished. His being here stayed between my mother and me since my father did not have to know.

Remus walked in with curiosity written all over his face regarding the room we were in. As he approached closer he stopped to pick up my new little kitten Gizmo. Mother had gotten him for me as a Christmas gift.

"Are you all right?"

"I think." I replied not really sure myself.

"You know whatever is troubling you, you can tell me." He kindly offered as he took a seat on the floor next to me. "Even if it is about James. I promise I will never tell anyone." he added as he let go of Gizmo.

"Do you think James likes me in any way?" I asked not expecting him to answer.

"I would say so. Since he is with you, there must be a reason." he replied, "But Lily..."

"But Lily what?" I asked but he shook his head not wanting to answer the question. "Remus tell me."

"It is nothing Adeline." he responded walking into the next room. "How many rooms are there that look like this?"

"I know you are trying to change the subject but the answer is eight they are connected. Now answer my question." I said in a more demanding tone than intended.

"Like I said it is nothing. But why do you have these rooms again?" Remus continued to change the subject walking into another room.

"I love flowers. So it was a no-brainer to build an inside flower garden. Also, there is a balcony if you walk over there." I suggested. He unsuspiciously walked out into the balcony allowing me to lock the door with the master key.

"Adeline, what did do?" He asked as he walked over to try and open the door. He failed to do so and had not brought his wand with him so he turned his gaze towards me. "Give me the key."