Part 6

You knew you were at the right place. But still you hesitated, checking the card again. Rereading the numbers. Looking at the warehouse.

You inhaled, pocketing the card. It was too late to turn back. And you had some information. 

Nothing that would compromise Raph. You twisted your fingers nervously, opening the door. Just stupid useless information.

The door hinges squeaked from rust, making you jump. Laugh at yourself. You straightened, looking around. It was dark. Boxes piled up, a couple cars in the process of getting chopped, a light in the distance. Voices carrying through the expanse.

You made your way there, to the people. Squeezing between a stack of crates you found yourself surrounded by others. Todd was there. You gave a smile, making your way over, rounding the brightly lit table in the middle of everything.

"You got anything?" Todd stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"I dunno." You shook your head. "Maybe. Don't think it'll be helpful."

"The rest of us got nothing." He sighed, shoulders slumping. "So whatever you got is better than the majority."

You frowned, opening your mouth to reply when others joined you. These Foot Clan were armed. They looked more like the real deal.

A stack of hundreds placed on the table. One stack per person.

"What have you got for us?"

Silence.

The soldier sighed, rolling his eyes. "You." He pointed to Todd. He just sighed, shaking his head.

"There's no gossip." He admitted. "Some people think they're an up and coming gang?" He offered with a weak voice.

The soldier nodded, tossing a stack at him. Todd caught it with a fumble, a couple hundreds slipping out. Another was selected.

She stepped forward. "I-I don't have anything." Her eyes darted to the cash. She sidled closer.

You felt your adrenaline spike. Don't do it. You willed.

But she did, snagging the cash. Turning to run. The firing of a gun made you flinch, dropping low. You heard screams. Slowly you opened your eyes, uncovered your ears.

The body lay there. Blood pooling around her head. Eyes frozen open. Cash in her limp hands. A soldier walked over, straddling her body. Retrieving the money.

"You." She turned to you, holding the money out. "What do you know?"

You gulped, eyes darting to Todd. He was white, shaking, cash clutched to his chest. Fuck. You were all in over your heads.

"T-" you licked your lips. "Why can't you guys find them?" You weren't trying to be oppositional. "You've got money to throw around, surely you ca-" a fist tangled in your shirt, dragging you to your tip toes.

"I didn't ask for help managing my crew." She hissed.

Your eyes widened. They weren't Foot. You turned your head to catch Todd, but he had slumped to the ground. He hadn't known.

Fuck.

"I," you clawed at her grip till she set you down. You gasped in a breath. "They're mutants."

"We know that." Lip curled.

"Turtle." You straightened, snagging the cash from her. "They're mutant turtles."

"That's interesting." She turned to the other two soldiers with her. "Anyone else?"

They exchanged looks. But no one offered anything.