Ch 16: Over a barrel

The ponies were on a train talking idly as they accompanied Applejack to make a very important delivery.

Daylight went to check on Applejack who went to the back of the train to check on the package but as she got closer she heard Applejack's muffled voice and so as she opened the curtain she found Applejack reading to the tree.

"Aww...Applejack are you reading a bedtime story to the apple tree?" She found it really adorable.

"Hehe...uh." Applejack smiled sheepishly. "Uh well you know being replanted in a whole new place is very upsetting for a tree and Bloomberg here is one of my favorites!" She exclaimed.

"You don't have to explain to me Applejack the tree- I mean Bloomberg is very important to you so it's only obvious that you take care of him, her?" Daylight said.

"Thanks Daylight." Applejack said as her embarrassment quickly faded.

"No problem, although you might not want to let Rarity know that you got a whole car for Bloomberg, you know just leave out that little detail." Daylight smiled.

"Right, right, good point." Applejack nodded.

*****

The trip went well into the night and the girls were having so much fun riding on a fast train all except for Rarity who couldn't get any sleep from all their chattering.

"Do you guys mind, we were up early fire roasting those snacks you're all eating and we're popped!" Spike exclaimed as Cosmic sat up scratching her eyes with a frown from barely getting any proper sleep.

"Speaking of, some of these popcorn kernels didn't get popped." Rainbow Dash said.

"Really? Sorry about that." Cosmic said as she looked apologetic.

Rainbow gasped and ducked as a steak of purple flames were shot at her and roasted her box of popcorn black and a kernel popped hitting her square in the face.

"There, I hope that's better." Cosmic smiled sweetly and she frowned and quickly tucked herself into bed.

"Goodnight!" The two dragons exclaimed as they huffed in frustration.

"Uh...maybe it's time we all got a little shut eye. We've got a big day ahead of us tomorrow." Twilight said and she turned out the light causing all the girls to whine.

"Goodnight girls." Daylight giggled.

"Psst! Pinkie Pie, you asleep yet?" Rainbow whispered into the darkness.

"No, are you asleep yet?" Pinkie asked.

"If I was sleeping how could I have asked you if you were asleep." Rainbow frowned.

"Oh yeah!" Pinkie giggled.

"When we get to Applelousa, you think we'll have to carry that heavy tree all the way from the train to the orchard?" Rainbow asked as she came out of the dark with a candle

"What tree? You mean Bloomberg?" Linkie asked.

"No, Fluttershy." Rainbow rolled her eyes.

"Fluttershy's not a tree, silly." Pinki smiled.

"What's going on?" Twilight asked as she too joined into the conversation.

"Rainbow Dash thinks Fluttershy is a tree." Pinkie said.

"I do not think she's a tree! I was just-"

Did you say she was a tree?" Twilight asked.

"No- well yes." Rainbow defended.