9-John

Izabelle

The afternoon at the lake with Hunter was the best date I'd ever had, and it wasn't even a real date.

That didn't stop me from daydreaming about it—or him. Hunter made me happy, and I felt safe with him. He might not be interested in me as more than a friend, but I was encouraged that he'd agreed to dinner. That only was enough for alarm. Encouragement could lead to heartbreak.

I probably only imagined those heated looks and tingling touches, and because I was terrible at hiding my feelings, he'd known I was attracted to him. This explained why he'd admitted to being afraid of me. The poor guy was thinking my teenage crush would turn into something from a horror movie.

He was my hero. I was his potential stalker. What a disaster. If it wasn't for my outrageous suggestion to find each other dates, I doubt I'd be seeing much of him. That made no sense either. Hunter Donovan did not need my help to find him a date. Why was he hanging out with me?

Whatever his reason, I wouldn't question my good fortune. I loved—I froze at the word. Love. I loved Hunter for years, and I wanted to be with him. If friends was all I could have, I'd be grateful for that.

When I met Scott he was romantic and attentive. He was a respected doctor and he pursued me like I was someone special. I liked him, but I'd never loved him like I did Hunter.

An image of Scott shoving me against a wall made me shiver. I could still hear him screaming at me. Still feel the pain of his fists. I'd been stupid. Just like Darryl had always said.

No. I wouldn't think of that. But I couldn't stop. Hunter's words condemned me. Sin separates us from God. Not even Jesus could wash away my sins even though Hunter believed otherwise.

He might say he wasn't a Christian, but something in his voice when he talked about Jesus told me he was as much a believer as Kyle and Lucy. Hunter had simply forgotten.

"Hey, Izzy." Lucy slid into the seat across from me and set down her lunch. "Looks like you have a lot on your mind."

Just your dad. I glanced down at my chicken spaghetti, which I'd let get cold, and pushed it around on the plate with my fork. "I was thinking about John."

Lucy's delicate brows drew together. "Who's John?"

"For God so loved the world..." I couldn't remember the rest

Her expression could only be described as joyful. Her eyes shined. Taking a sip of coffee, I waited for Lucy to finish the verse I couldn't recall but she sat quietly watching me happily.

"Go ahead. Say it. I'm waiting." I motioned for her to continue.

To my astonishment, Lucy got up, came around the table, and hugged me. "I love you, Izabelle."

My heart melted. I patted her arm, which was encircling my shoulder. "Love you too Lucy, but this is weird."

She released me, and I actually think she did a little hop. "I've been waiting for this a long time."

Guilt at getting her hope up made me feel terrible. "I just read a few verses. I'm not even sure I believe."

"You're reading the Bible, it doesn't matter why," Lucy said with an excited clap of her hands.

I glanced around. "People are staring."

"Let them. This is an amazing day. Have you told Kyle?"

"No, he's busy with therapy and Ava."

She blinked, her expression strange. "Ava?"

Lucy sounded surprised. "Yes, Ava. His soon-to-be girlfriend." I suddenly remembered I was supposed to meet her tonight. It was the last thing I wanted to do, and it would interfere with my dinner plans with Hunter.