10-I'll wait for you forever

Izabelle

"The adventures of Captain Donovan! You should write a book." I plunked a French Fry into thick chicken fried steak gravy.

Hunter made me laugh with his entertaining tales, and it was impossible to wipe the goofy smile off my face. He described one call where a lady was hysterical because her children were killing each other. The police arrived hot only to find out that her children were actually her cats.

"It's not always like this," he warned quietly. "There's not always a happy ending."

"Would you call being locked out of the house in ladies' lingerie a happy ending?" I teased, recalling another of his stories.

His iced tea glass paused midair, and his lips twitched with a smile. "That'll never be a problem. I don't wear women's underwear."

"Not even if your wife asked you nicely?" I asked, managing to hold back my own smile.

"Never. I'm not sure his wife asked either. Sounded like a cover to me. Guess we'll never know."

"Did the teenager who couldn't unzip the chicken costume he wore for work get it off in time to make it to homecoming?"

"He got it off." Hunter shook his head. "But not in time. He wore it to the homecoming dance."

A ribbon of sympathy weaved through me. "I feel bad for him. I don't think his friends realized how their prank embarrassed the poor guy."

"If it makes you feel better, he made quite an entrance. Had everyone at the dance cheering. He was laughing and posting pictures when I left."

"Good for him. I just don't get why people can be so mean."

His eyes lifted to mine. "Sin. It's why we all need Jesus."

"I'll take your word for it." If only my sins weren't so great, but I knew some things were unforgivable.

We finished dinner and he drove me to my apartment. As soon as we reached my complex we saw the flashing blue and white lights in the parking lot.

Hunter's jaw tightened. "I'll find out what's going on," he said, getting out. "Wait here."

I reached for his arm, ignoring the sparks the touch ignited. "It's late. Go home and sleep. This happens all the time."

My reassurance had the opposite effect on him. "All the more reason for you to move."

"You know I can't."

He spun, turning on me. "You mean you won't. Kyle would let you move in with him."

"I'm a strong, independent woman, and I'm not moving in with my little brother."

"You're stubborn." With that parting shot, he stalked off. I followed. "I told you to stay here."

"I heard you."

A low sound, perhaps a growl, came from him but he didn't push the subject and I tagged along while he spoke to a couple of officers. Turns out that it was a domestic disturbance.

"See? No big deal," I said as we walked away.

"What do you consider a big deal?" Intent eyes zeroed in on mine.

It was like he saw clear to my soul. My breath caught. A single word fell from my lips the softest whisper. "Murder?"

He heard. "You think anything short of homicide is ordinary?" A flash of annoyance colored his expression. "Armed robbery, assault, rape—"

"Stop! That's not what I meant."

"There's no reason to put yourself in danger when you have options." He continued on to my apartment.