23-I love you

Izabelle

"You're safe now." Hunter's voice was deep, his breathing labored, and he wrapped me in his arms. "What happened?"

I'd made a fool of myself by running from an older couple trying to be good Samaritans. "I don't know. You didn't have to rush over."

"I'll always come when you need me." Drawing back, he gave me a quick perusal as if to assure himself I wasn't hurt. "You scared those people."

"I know." I felt terrible. "They're fine now, right?"

"They're concerned. They thought something might have happened to you." He stepped closer, and I shifted beneath his scrutiny. "So am I. Talk to me."

"Hunter, I—" I shook my head. "I-I don't what's wrong with me."

"Hey," he said gently. "You thought someone was chasing you. It's good to be cautious. No harm done."

"By cautious you mean insane." Giving his rock-hard bicep a playful punch, I smiled. "Thanks for trying to make me feel better."

His lips quirked. "Guess it's not working."

"It's working." I gazed up at him. He was tall and handsome and he took my breath away. "You always make things better."

"C'mon," he said, taking my hand.

We reached Hunter's SUV, which he'd parked on the street not far from the trail, and I heard the click of the doors unlocking. "Let's get out of here."

"I can't get in your car. I'm all sweaty."

He frowned, seemingly unconcerned with my messiness. "Izabelle, I'm not in the mood to argue."

"I'm sticky and wet," I protested. "I probably smell bad too."

"You don't." He let out a deep chuckle. "Get in the car. Now."

Hesitating, I drank in the magnificent sight of him. He was dressed in slacks, a dress shirt and a tie, with a holster strapped to his shoulder. "Do you have to go back to work?"

"No." Hot blue eyes caught mine. "We need to talk."

My stomach fell. "Oh, no."

"Not in the mood for conversation?" he asked, one brow lifted.

"Usually, when a guy says that it means he wants to break up." I stiffened. "Not that I'm assuming we're together, but you know what I mean."

"We are together." He shook his head and looked like he was trying not to laugh. "And we are not breaking up."

"What do you want to talk about?"

Something flashed in his eyes, and he gripped the back of his neck with his hand. "Izzy." He said my name with such tender warmth my heart filled with love. So much love.

"We can forget this conversation if you want. You know like the five-second rule except with words. Feel free to do so if you're not sure what's between us."

"There's something between us, Izabelle."

"Drama, stress, trouble..." I teased, having fun.

Hunter reached out and brushed the back of his hand along my face, sending tremors down my spine. He smelled so good. I breathed in his scent, and he scooped me high into his arms and put me in the passenger's seat of his car. I squealed with laughter.

"No fair! I was distracted."

"You were sniffing me." He slid into the driver's seat and started the engine. "Though I feel better knowing your sense of humor is still intact."