30-Forgiveness, love, and diamonds

Hunter scooped me into his arms.

"No fair!" I cried as he dumped me into a pile of hay, but the protest lacked bite since I was laughing so hard.

"You wanna talk about fair? You cheated, Izzy. I even gave you a head start. This seems to be a recurring problem for you."

"Uh, no." I blew hay from my mouth. "You said the first one to the round bail wins."

"You climbed over three panels!" He bellowed, looking like he was trying hard not to laugh.

"I was being efficient."

"That's what you want to call cheating? Efficient. Nope. I win. Admit it."

Hopping up, I brushed hay from my clothes, trying to maintain my composure but Hunter was right. I totally cheated. "Alright. If it means that much to you. I'll muck the stalls."

His gaze crawled over me, and his eyes darkened. "I changed my mind."

"Ah, so you admit I won? Excellent!"

"I won and I want a kiss."

My belly quivered. "I don't know. We agreed I'd clean stalls if you won," I said, feigning upset over his change in plans. "I guess I can kiss you. Just a quick one. On the cheek."

His bicep lifted and I admired his rippling muscles. A heartbeat later I felt the brush of his fingers along my jaw as he pulled a piece of hay from my hair. My breath hitched. I swallowed hard. My lips parted.

Hunter lowered his head slowly, giving me time to back out but I lifted my chin.

Buzz. Buzz.

An incoming text. I started.

Buzz. Buzz.

My phone ruined the moment.

"I'm not answering." I looped my arms around his neck.

"Whatever you say."

Buzz. Buzz.

"Kiss me, Hunter."

"On the cheek?" he teased, eyes shining with humor.

"Anywhere."

Buzz. Buzz.

This time I felt him tense. "Izabelle, maybe you should check it."

I knew what he was thinking, and I nodded, reaching for my phone. "It's Ava." For some reason, my anxiety didn't lessen. I felt Hunter's regard. He was perceptive, almost like he knew what I was thinking.

"You sure you don't want to answer?"

"I haven't spoken to her since the day in court. You know how much her family has done for Kyle and me." I sighed, sitting on a square bale of hay. "She's my friend, but she tried to break up Lucy and Kyle."

He didn't seem surprised. "Lucy told me."

"Ava let Lucy think she and Kyle were sleeping together. She was determined to cause trouble."

"I know," he said quietly, without a bit of anger despite what Ava had done to his daughter.

"Knowing Lucy, she's already forgiven, Ava." From Hunter's expression, I knew that was true. "You have too. I want to forgive, but I'm not ready. Every time I start to call her, I get angry. My brother and Lucy deserve happiness." I dropped my forehead into my hands. "Say something."

"I understand."

For some reason that made me laugh. "Something that will help me. How did you forgive her?"