34-Ghost of Christmas past

Izabelle

"Hunter?"

My throat was so dry I could barely push his name from my lips.

"Shh, he doesn't hurt. The medic is checking him out now."

"Kyle? What are you doing here?"

With great effort, I opened my eyes, seeing people and flashing lights. My stomach rolled. The sight of blood did that to me. There was so much of it soaking Hunter's shirt. "He's bleeding."

"Take it easy," Kyle said patting my shoulder. "He was hit with glass. Got a bunch of scratches, all shallow from what I saw. It's you we're concerned about."

"I was checked and cleared. They said I fainted."

"Yeah, well, you never faint. Ever. Sit back and chill. Hunter will back me on this."

I couldn't get over seeing the familiar man behind the wheel of the car chasing us. "It was Will."

"Yeah," Kyle said quietly when I tried to get up. "Something's not right."

Handcuffed and on the ground, Will turned and our eyes met. His gaze widened, and he seemed desperate. "Izabelle...danger."

Pushing against Kyle, I stood, all of a sudden alert, and needing to speak to him. "What are you talking about?"

"He hit his head, ma'am." The paramedic glanced at me.

William's arm shot out, grabbing mine frantically.

"Will?" I gasped.

"Be careful. K-kill you." Will choked, his eyes wide with fear. "He'll kill you!"

I froze. My eyes followed Will's gaze to Hunter. I didn't understand. "Who?"

"Donovan," Will rasped, and then his eyes closed.

"Like I said he banged his head." The paramedic appeared thoughtful. "Can't say for sure if it's a concussion, but he's not making sense."

I saw Hunter's expression, and I reached for his hand as he walked up. "He didn't know what he was saying."

Hunter was still staring at Will, as he was loaded into the ambulance. "I think he knew exactly what he was saying."

"He thinks you want to kill me."

He looked up at the sky as if imploring God to step in and help. "I'm missing something, but I don't know what it is."

"Yes!" I breathed, glad he understood. "I thought the same thing. It's like someone wants to throw us off."

"Maybe," Kyle said, throwing a pointed look at Hunter, his expression conflicted.

"Don't go there." I threw my brother a hard look. "This has nothing to do with him."

Hunter brushed his knuckles against my cheek. "Until this is settled it has to do with all of us. Go with your brother."

"No. I'm not leaving you. Not like this." I spun around, confronting Kyle. "I love him. After all, he's done for both of us, you can't think he'd try to kill me."

Kyle's steady gaze flicked to the man I would marry. "I don't think that, but I also don't believe Will is lying."

"Right there with you," Hunter agreed, pulling me closer, and lowering his head close to my ear. "He's worried about you."

"I know," I told him, desperate to make him understand. "I'm scared. Not just for me."

"I love you. Believe this will work out. Don't worry. Pray about it," he said, pressing a kiss to my cheek and quickly stepping away.