22-Jesus knows

Izabelle

Jesus was my first thought when I awoke the next morning.

The second was Hunter.

He'd patiently answered questions that probably made no sense to him, and afterward, he tenderly held me while all my broken pieces melted back together. When he'd asked if I was keeping anything else, I desperately wanted to tell him but this was a secret not even Kyle knew.

Jesus knew. I prayed He would forgive me.

Getting out of bed, I went through the morning ritual—brush my teeth, shower, and dress. Hunter had left early, but before he left came in and kissed me on the forehead. My heart warmed at the memory.

Hunter left a note by the full pot of coffee saying he'd had someone deliver my car and to be careful today. He told me to call if I needed him. Lord, help me to deserve him.

I continued my prayer on the drive to the hospital. When I reached Kyle's room, I found him sitting in a chair beside his bed with the TV remote in his hand.

"You're awake. And up."

"Since when have you known me to sleep in?" Kyle's deep blue eyes landed on me and he forced a smile. I didn't blame him.

I went to him, crouched before his chair. "I deserve that look. I'm really sorry. Please forgive me."

Surprised flashed across his features. "It's not you Izabelle. I didn't sleep last night." He shook his head. "I've got this feeling..." His eyes met mine. "It's nothing. What're you doing here so early?"

"I needed to see you." I glanced down at his bandaged leg. "You look good. No more bionic leg. Think you'll miss it?"

"Never," he laughed. "I finally feel normal again."

"I'm glad. Listen, I feel terrible about yesterday. I'll make it up to you and Lucy, I promise."

He held up a hand, stopping me when I would have continued. "I understand and so does Lucy. We should have just told you about us."

I took his hand and patted it like I used to do when he was little. "Blowing up like that before your surgery is unforgivable—" Tears stung my eyes and but I blinked them away.

"Nothing is unforgivable. You messed up." Kyle gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. "No one is going to hold it against you, especially Lucy." His eyes lit with a smile when he said her name. "We're praying for you."

Letting his words sink in, I realized that in the past when he'd say he prayed for me I got defensive. Pretty sure I rolled my eyes a time or two. I finally understood. "Thank you. I need all the prayers I can get. I'll repay the favor."

"Really?" he asked, hopefully. "That's great. You're still reading the Bible?"

"Yes. Very slowly, but I'm making progress."

"If you want someone to read with, me and Lucy are here for you." He hesitated like he wasn't sure how much to push. "There's also church."

"I'll get there, little brother." I stood slowly and sat in a chair across from him. "Lucy will read the Bible with me even after I pushed for you and Ava to get back together?"

"Yeah, there was that." He chuckled. "Kidding. We're called to forgive just like God forgives us."

"I guess I wanted everything to be perfect for you."

"You've always wanted that for me, and I love you for it." Kyle's eyes softened. "Izabelle, I'm in love with Lucy."

"I know. I think I knew even before this." Meeting his gaze, I smiled. I'd never seen him so happy. "She's special."